Float test question

Why is the float test a huge article in here for a MUST do after day 24/25 and so many people swear by it if it’s NOT a good thing to do?!?!!!
I didn't know there was an article. Can yoy link it? It's a really bad idea to ever put live eggs in water. You get way more out of candling and it doesn't lie, since you can physically see the inside of the egg.

Different people have differing opinions. Some are based on experience, some on intuition. Some people totally miss the context of what is said. It's that way on any internet forum.

I don't see why you say a "MUST do"? Can you reference where you see someone saying must?

In my opinion the viability float test is a last ditch desperation measure for people where the eggs are long overdue but they just can't bring themselves to toss them. Usually first timers. If the egg wiggles at that stage of incubation the chick is still alive inside. If it doesn't wiggle they don't feel as guilty about tossing it. If the egg is not cracked or has not external pipped you will not drown the chick inside. It only takes a few seconds, the egg is not in there for hours. This late in incubation you are not worried about washing the bloom off, bacteria won't have time to get inside and grow.

I don't consider it necessary at all. The only time I tried it was to help my niece who was visiting to let go the hope of the last egg hatching. I think it did help her, she is a very gentle soul. But when I did that test she was OK with letting it go.

I didn't know there was an article. Can yoy link it? It's a really bad idea to ever put live eggs in water. You get way more out of candling and it doesn't lie, since you can physically see the inside of the egg.
[/https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/float-testing-checking-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching.383525/

Thanks for the link. I don't see anything there where it is a "need" or "have to". And I don't agree with trying that the day after they are due, it's unnecessary that quickly. Especially considering how many hatch a day or two late anyway. But that is my opinion and I have patience.

It is still a tool that if used properly can have some value in certain circumstances.

Well I tried it yesterday making sure that there were no cracks before I started. Four had some degree of floating and four sank. But when candling, they all look like full eggs near hatching. I was too afraid to pip into them and lose the egg. I’ve seen posts where people have been up to 30 days for hatch. I’m so nervous as this is my first and I’m hoping the humidity here in FL isn’t messing things up for us. (They’re under 2 broodies. We started with 23 and are down to 2 living out of 4 hatched and 5-6 to go still.)

Back
Top Bottom