Floating Catfish Food = Consistent High Quality Eggs

MomJones

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
South Carolina
So who out there has tried floating catfish food? Well I highly recommend it. We started keeping chickens in 2017 (after doing a ton of research on which birds we wanted, etc) and have been supplementing their diets daily with a "treat" of about a quart of floating catfish food which we buy at our local feed store. It's super high in protein and the girls seem to like it. We keep around 24 birds, including Buff Orphingtons, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Ameraucanas (the real ones). Out of 24 birds, none has gone through an actual molt, and we've consistently gotten a minimum of 18 eggs per day most days (except in high heat conditions--we're in South Carolina).

I first heard about Floating Catfish Food when I was studying up on the importance of protein in a hen's diet. This one guy was mixing the stuff in with his layer feed and getting very good results. We decided not to do that but use it as a "treat" so they'd have something to scratch for (we don't give them corn as it's the same as candy for humans--zero health benefit).

Here's the nutritional breakdown for the stuff we use:
36% Protein
Grain products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Animal Protein Products, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Lysine, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Sulfate, Fish Oil.

We have happy hens (except on super hot days like today (ugh!). But they're still laying and doin' their thing. And I'm convinced the Floating Catfish Food is part of the reason. :thumbsup

Its just soy, corn, and possibly some wheat middlings. Their is a bit of animal protein in it but not much, and that's probably whats helping your chickens do their best. I toss out a handful of dry cat food which has a similar effect.

All the poultry feed went vegetarian, but that's not great for chickens since they are omnivores and need some animal proteins / amino acids.

Back
Top Bottom