Floating Chickens !

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WestminsterHens, Oct 7, 2013.

1. WestminsterHens

WestminsterHens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Did you know chickens float! Once one of my chickens once fell into our pool. It tried to swim, but in the end it just gave up and floated. It was perfectly calm too! Have you ever seen a chicken float, it's funny.
    [​IMG] It's funnier than this !!! [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i would imagine after the feathers get saturated it would sink but next time i get mad at one of them i will give it a try! hehe

3. WestminsterHens

WestminsterHens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    I think you might be right, but you never know till you find out.

4. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    I have a rooster who likes to swim. So yes, and no. Their feathers do get saturated after a while, but if the water is warm, the chicken can swim as long as he isn't exhausted. But if the water is cold, then once the feathers get really wet, the bird gets tired and still floats, but starts rolling over. At that point you have to rescue them.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

x2 They'll drown if you don't pull them out and they can't find a way out themselves once they get tired. I learned this the hard way and now always keep a cinder block in the duck pool so any hapless chickens that fall in can get out.

6. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    The roo was in three inches of water, supervised, in a bathtub for his flea treatment with pyrethrin shampoo. So, not exactly a unsafe situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by