Flock away from home question

songbirdfarms

Chirping
Aug 20, 2019
Saginaw, MI
Hi!
I have 6-10 young (2-3 month old) pet roosters and hens coming to live on our 5 acre veggie farm. It is 2 miles away from our home (where we can’t have them) and my husband thinks this is a bad idea for the birds. I will be there morning and night all seasons to open close coop, feed, water and entertain. They have a large secure coop and run but will free range on their own most of the day. Their current owner has checked the site out and thinks they will be fine but my husband is worrying me! Any thoughts from experienced owners? Thank you in advance!

It's a bad idea to free range if you aren't around to deter predators, and keep an eye out. They will be fine in a large coop and secured run.

Chickens don't need people except to provide food and water. The only problem I see is you wouldn't be present if there were problems, but I'm not outside all day by my birds either, and I sometimes only check mine twice a day.

It all depends on what you are comfortable with.

I have 6-10 young (2-3 month old) pet roosters and hens coming to live on our 5 acre veggie farm. It is 2 miles away from our home (where we can’t have them) and my husband thinks this is a bad idea for the birds. I will be there morning and night all seasons to open close coop, feed, water and entertain. They have a large secure coop and run but will free range on their own most of the day.
Couple red flags here....
They will free range amongst your veggie plants?
You know they can be incredibly destructive?
Pet rooster and hens?
Are they pets or egg/meat producers or pest control or...?
How many roosters?
Too many males can cause a lot of trouble.
BTW.. at 3 months they are cockerels and pullets, until one year old.

and this...
The only problem I see is you wouldn't be present if there were problems
Exactly!

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @songbirdfarms
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-21_7-35-9.png

Couple red flags here....
They will free range amongst your veggie plants?
We have 3.5 acres of alfalfa and a .25 acre orchard around them with our tomatoes secured in a 3.5’ chicken wired plot- we also protect our greens, and they I will supervise free range during seedling time.
You know they can be incredibly destructive?
Pet rooster and hens?
Are they pets or egg/meat producers or pest control or...?
PETS. We will not be using their eggs. They are “accidentals” from a friend, and my plan is to have only rescues from here forward.
How many roosters?
Approx 3 roosters 12 hens.
Too many males can cause a lot of trouble.
BTW.. at 3 months they are cockerels and pullets, until one year old.
Thank you!
and this...
Yes, I have been thinking about that. The run is 12’x8’...I feel like it’s more fair to them to live naturally and risk preparation than to keep them from exploring as my true goal is to offer them quality of life; but I am conflicted for sure and this is my husbands concern too...predators. They are coming from being free range with pastures to roam in all day.

Exactly!

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @songbirdfarms
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
I am in central Michigan, winters can be harsh. I will tarp the top and one side of the run and not free range them in storms or super cold. The coop is top notch and I will hang treats in it and sit in the coop a little each day to check on everyone.
Thank you for such a thought out reply; I am taking this seriously!
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1884482

Back
Top Bottom