Flock away from home question

3.5’ chicken wired plot-
Hmm... might not be high enough. Chickens can easily fly over 4' and can totally decimate vegetation in a matter of a few hours.

PETS. We will not be using their eggs. They are “accidentals” from a friend, and my plan is to have only rescues from here forward.
What will you do with the eggs? I assume these birds are still laying....tho they may lay out in range area.

The run is 12’x8’...I feel like it’s more fair to them to live naturally and risk preparation than to keep them from exploring as my true goal is to offer them quality of life; but I am conflicted for sure and this is my husbands concern too...predators. They are coming from being free range with pastures to roam in all day.
This is where Romance meets Reality. Sure, they're all happy ranging(can they range into neighbors who may not appreciate chickens-or a roadway where they could be run over???) but sooner or later predators will find them. The risk of consequence is up to you.

I am in central Michigan, winters can be harsh. I will tarp the top and one side of the run and not free range them in storms or super cold. The coop is top notch and I will hang treats in it and sit in the coop a little each day to check on everyone.
Make sure your tarp, or rather the framing under it, can hold up the snow load.
Will run have a mesh roof to protect from predators?
How big is coop?
Dimensions and pics are always helpful.

I let my flock free range around in my 4 acre garden lot. My problem is.. When I'm working under my car, or tractor, my inquisitive hens always pass me the wrong size wrenches. Always there wondering what I'm up to!

Dude I feel you totally!! You ask for a 13mm, they come back with a 1/2 and tell you it's pretty much he same size, it should work.... these chickens just dont care about rounded nuts and bolts... The rooster is the worst about it, I swear...:rolleyes:

Featherhead- you are off the topic of the post!

OP - It will work until it won't. You might get lucky, and you might get wiped out. Personally, my own coop is a ways from my house, and my birds frequently free range out of my sight. Some times that means a predator loss.

You do need to measure the coop and the run. Do not think free ranging can let you cheat on the numbers. Limit the number of roosters to your flock to the least number possible. You will need to be able to go into 24/7 lock down if you get a predators for at least several days to weeks until the predator moves on or you trap it.

Do have a way to secure feed. Racoons can open a lot of things. And you don't want coons.

Do you have any other livestock on the farm?

Good luck

Mrs K

Given the details you've provided I would be inclined to free range them.
While it is true that with some thought and expense you can build a predator proof run that will work for most predators, most of the time, it only needs one breach and your chickens are stuck in the run and coop with the predator.
There are lots and lots of posts on BYC that illustrate this point. A coop and run unless very well designed and constructed and regularly inspected is no guarantee that you won't lose chickens.
Next you've written roosters. Even if it's just two, the chances of them coexisting would be greatly improved in a free range setting. What's more, at two miles away I doubt you'll be popping up often enough to break up fights.;)
You will lose some chickens. It's almost inevitable when one free ranges. But, these chickens don't sound like they are going to be household pets, so their quality of life should be carefully considered given they will get the minimum of attention.
If this is a long term commitment you have the opportunity of allowing a self replacing community of chickens to develop. My view is this is the best way of life for the chickens.
It would certainly help to avoid all those chicken problems such as integrating new members etc that take time and attention. Think no broody setups, no isolation coops, in essence a semi feral population.
Even allowing for some egg laying outside, finding the eggs from say 4 hens during their first 3 or 4 years of laying should be enough for a small family.

The OP's reference to "pets" is confusing. Most people who have chickens as pets are nearly devastated by a predator loss. Personally, I keep a flock, with the idea that birds come into and out of a flock, but it still does upset me when I find a bird torn apart.

If I read the post correctly, you want the birds to stay out of the garden, and live off the land in a natural non-restrictive setting. You only want rescue birds to have a quality of life.

I agree with your husband, this is a romantic view, not a realistic view. The person giving the birds away is solving his problem and responsibility. The birds are going to cause a lot of problems in your garden, and going to be eaten by predators. If you just want to feed the wildlife, that is your decision.

Mrs K

:welcome :frow Be prepared to loose a few birds eventually when the predators find them. Free ranging is a great idea and I have done it and I have lost birds. It's the risk you take. Now my birds all have very large pens with electric wire around the coops and pens. Good luck and have fun...

EFE897E8-1CBC-495E-B044-1C4AC6931A8B.png
BC541A70-117E-4057-A160-1FF69EB49412.png
26B7B0B0-8671-42C0-A5DF-D619E4EE3FF5.jpeg
Hmm... might not be high enough. Chickens can easily fly over 4' and can totally decimate vegetation in a matter of a few hours.
That is good to know...by next season the tomatoes will be completely enclosed in our high tunnel.

What will you do with the eggs? I assume these birds are still laying....tho they may lay out in range area.
Feed some back to the chickens, give away or toss the rest.

This is where Romance meets Reality. Sure, they're all happy ranging(can they range into neighbors who may not appreciate chickens-or a roadway where they could be run over???) but sooner or later predators will find them. The risk of consequence is up to you.
Farm is sandwiched by fence and deep creek so there really isn’t anyplace to go...

Make sure your tarp, or rather the framing under it, can hold up the snow load.
Will run have a mesh roof to protect from predators?
Run will be covered roof to under ground with hardware cloth- we have a seriously out of hand groundhog population so underground is to keep them from creating tunnels to food that predators could travel.
How big is coop?
Coop is 7” tall, 8’x5’, run is 10’x8’

Dimensions and pics are always helpful.

Attachments

• 7C4A402F-899B-4B0D-BDF2-DC83566B5F4B.png
    7C4A402F-899B-4B0D-BDF2-DC83566B5F4B.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Nice coop, needs some ventilation work...open up those soffits(cover with 1/2" HC) and add louvered gable vents. Need some light too, so maybe glazed top hinged windows for more ventilation in summer and light in winter.

That run is sweet, will be 'easy' to add solid 'rafters' to hold mesh and tarps.

The OP's reference to "pets" is confusing. Most people who have chickens as pets are nearly devastated by a predator loss. Personally, I keep a flock, with the idea that birds come into and out of a flock, but it still does upset me when I find a bird torn apart.
This is my greatest worry; handling attrition due to predators.

If I read the post correctly, you want the birds to stay out of the garden, and live off the land in a natural non-restrictive setting. You only want rescue birds to have a quality of life.
Yes, I want to provide them freedom and care- maybe I’m discovering that’s an oxymoron?!

I agree with your husband, this is a romantic view, not a realistic view. The person giving the birds away is solving his problem and responsibility. The birds are going to cause a lot of problems in your garden, and going to be eaten by predators. If you just want to feed the wildlife, that is your decision.
The flock has been free ranging predator free on a farm for two years- their current owner who has them as pets explained that in other locations they haven’t been so lucky. I brought her to our farm, which is bordered by a deep creek, a single crop farm, and a fenced freeway to see what she thought of location first, though I am exploring all opinions hence this post! I figured since we have a prolific groundhog population and no evidence of predators I had a pretty good spot for this...
Thank you sincerely for weighing in with food for thought.
Tania

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom