cmom

Hilltop Farm
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I was at our local TSC a while back and talked to a nice lady who was buying a Flock Block for her chickens. Since you can buy Salt Blocks and Mineral Blocks for the cattle and horses I thought why not get Flock Blocks for the birds. My birds love them. I was wondering if anyone else uses Flock Blocks???

I am getting ready to do a search on here today. There is a thread about making 'flock block' for your chickens. That is what I plan to do for these cold days to give them something to entertain themselves with.

I got one & put it out. The weathers getting worse & their enjoying waking up & pecking on it. I'm pretty much just gonna use them in the winter. Keep them busy & a little fatter through the winter.There's pros & cons about everything.You can make them yourself but for 10 bucks.

I bought one too, but am saving it for winter boredom issues. DH set it out for a few days last week, but I put it up again. Maybe it was coincidence, but I didn't get ANY eggs for two days straight when that thing was out. Between molters and the short days, I'm barely getting an egg a day now anyway. So I'm blaming the two day strike on them filling up on that "treat," which only has about 8 or 9% protein.
hu.gif
I'll put it back out next month...or when the really cold weather hits and they're not venturing out much...

Well we got a flock block and they loveeee pecking at it and eating it :) So glad we bought them one as when we made them they didn't last long at all this is lasting much longer :)

It has not made a difference with them laying as we are still getting eggs each day has not slowed down yet :)
hope this helps :)
have a great day

Quote:
I am curious about that as well. Also, once you place it, do you put it away at the end of the day or do you leave it?

I knew it was gonna rain last nite so I covered it with a bucket . It got wet one nite but they ate it so fast no time for mold to grow.

Quote:
I am curious about that as well. Also, once you place it, do you put it away at the end of the day or do you leave it?

I knew it was gonna rain last nite so I covered it with a bucket . It got wet one nite but they ate it so fast no time for mold to grow.

I fed mine in the coop during the winter last year. It helps a bit w/the boredom factor.
smile.png
I didn't remove it, but left it in for a few days. The first block lasted about a week, the second, 3-4 days, the third - a little over one day! lol They realized that it was good
tongue.png
I wouldn't divide it for a smaller flock ( I had 15 girls last winter), but just leave it in for a few days. If you wanted to make it last longer, remove it and place it in a rubbermaid container to keep it fresher.

I was lucky and scored a sale at TSC and bought two on clearance for $5 each!!

Back
Top Bottom