Flock block in a run?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Jan 11, 2012.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Is it ok to put a full size flock block in a 12x12 run? Being winter I though the girls would like one to break up the boredom of winter. Maybe try to break it up into large pieces ? If we get one I will be placing it on something to keep it from getting snow on it,

Thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sounds like the perfect pastime for winter when they can't find much else to eat. I did that a couple of years ago. I didn't break it up and was surprised how long it actually lasted them.

3. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I was worried that they would just eat on the block and not eat their feed?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hmmmm...I guess that is possible. It wasn't my experience but my chickens do free-range my entire backyard so had other things to do than just work on the flock block. Perhaps it is something you can give them just for a limited time each day? Or every 2nd or 3rd day to alleviate the boredom, but don't leave it in there all the time?

5. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I agree, I would not leave it in there all the time. 1-2 days a week at most to keep them suprised and entertained in a sense.

6. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks!

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It is important that they not be given too many "treats" so that they continue to eat their feed and get enough protein. You could break up the block and spread out their entertainment :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by