1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flock block... Waste of money

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbor across the street bought a flock block from a local farm store. It looks more like a peanut butter cement block. Her flock hops up on it and poops instead of pecking/eating it.

Are there several brands of these blocks? Maybe she picked the wrong brand or are they all pretty much the same? I was hoping to pick one up soon.

I've made my own in the past, which they LOVE, but I can't get it very hard and the gobble it up immediately. I used gelitan to bind the ingredients together.

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Purina makes a 20-25 pounder that is a mix of all kinds of good stuff. I know it has molasses in it by the smell but also boss, corn, grit, oyster shell, and lots of little seeds. My crew stands on it a lot, but they have polished off a good 3/4 of it. I think the $12 or $14 I spent on it a while ago was worth it.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Could just be her flock and/or her block. My gals obsess over it when I get them one as a treat and it lasts a good long while. I do believe the one I have gotten is Purina and costs about $13 TSC.

4. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I bought one by Purina and had set it on the patio without opening it. I went out and my chickens had pecked through the package and were eating it. Mine love it!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My husband bought one and our chickens don't want anything to do with it. I think he was trying to do something nice for them, since they have to be in the run more to protect them from the hawks right now. It's that season again.

They ate a little of it when he chipped some off with a tool, but it's as hard as a rock, so he got tired of trying to do that. Are they all that hard?

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:I know that mine is very hard, but I think that adds to the appeal... Takes a while to finish it off.

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I was wondering about that too. I saw some at TSC and contemplated on buying it but didn't. My girls are afraid of anything new I put in their run. I put one of those bird bells in there and they avoided it like the plague. I had to break it up and spread it on the ground.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It sounds like Purina is the way to go. [​IMG]

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I use the Farmers Helper brand, and my chickens love it! Its mostly seed, meaning it doesn't look like peanut butter and feed all mushed together. They aren't very big though, and a little pricey ($9.99- the block is maybe 6"L x 4"W x 2"T), so you could probably buy the seed and make a much bigger one for alot cheaper.

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:I've gotten a couple of those from TSC. My girl's love em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by