Flock block... Waste of money

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My neighbor across the street bought a flock block from a local farm store. It looks more like a peanut butter cement block. Her flock hops up on it and poops instead of pecking/eating it.

Are there several brands of these blocks? Maybe she picked the wrong brand or are they all pretty much the same? I was hoping to pick one up soon.

I've made my own in the past, which they LOVE, but I can't get it very hard and the gobble it up immediately. I used gelitan to bind the ingredients together.

Purina makes a 20-25 pounder that is a mix of all kinds of good stuff. I know it has molasses in it by the smell but also boss, corn, grit, oyster shell, and lots of little seeds. My crew stands on it a lot, but they have polished off a good 3/4 of it. I think the $12 or $14 I spent on it a while ago was worth it.

Could just be her flock and/or her block. My gals obsess over it when I get them one as a treat and it lasts a good long while. I do believe the one I have gotten is Purina and costs about $13 TSC.

My husband bought one and our chickens don't want anything to do with it. I think he was trying to do something nice for them, since they have to be in the run more to protect them from the hawks right now. It's that season again.

They ate a little of it when he chipped some off with a tool, but it's as hard as a rock, so he got tired of trying to do that. Are they all that hard?

I was wondering about that too. I saw some at TSC and contemplated on buying it but didn't. My girls are afraid of anything new I put in their run. I put one of those bird bells in there and they avoided it like the plague. I had to break it up and spread it on the ground.
roll.png

Last edited:
I use the Farmers Helper brand, and my chickens love it! Its mostly seed, meaning it doesn't look like peanut butter and feed all mushed together. They aren't very big though, and a little pricey ($9.99- the block is maybe 6"L x 4"W x 2"T), so you could probably buy the seed and make a much bigger one for alot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom