Flock block

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I bought one & put it out the other day & it got rained on last night. Should I leave it or pitch it. I hate to waste it & was thinking they will eat through the wet stuff .

2. toby5

toby5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    TN
    I am new to chickens... May I ask what is a flock block?

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its a food supplement. 25 lb block . Purina makes them. I got mine from Tractor Supply Co. You can google for more info.

4. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    I bought several last year during the winter. I have 40 birds snacking on it. When it's dry, it'll last about 10 days. When it gets wet it will start to fall aprt and it took mine 2 days to finish one off. I now put it under their porch to keep it dry so it'll stay hard and last longer. i don't know how many of you have a Southern States Store near you, but last week they had 12 suet cakes (for wild birds) packaged together for 59 cents per cake. Good deal! My girls love those when it gets real cold. I hang them in they wire holder in their house for treats.

5. toby5

toby5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    TN
    Its a food supplement. 25 lb block . Purina makes them. I got mine from Tractor Supply Co. You can google for more info.

Ok Thank you

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I got one ONCE! first they couldn't peck at it because it was too smooth, so we wiped it with a damp cloth to soften the outside enough for them to peck, then wild bird came to feast on it and gave my chickens a non-fatal virus that stopped egg production for a month!!! and for all of that it only lasted 2 days with 12 hens because in humid FL it feel apart.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wouldn't pitch it unless you think it'd get moldy.
    * But keep in mind for those unfamiliar with Flock Block, that this is a TREAT...very low in nutrients. Many use them in the winter time to help their birds fight boredom, and maybe to build up a little winter fat. Very low protein... so personally I wouldn't use it for molting birds or birds that are dealing with egg production dropping off.

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Not only smooth there hard. I noticed once they pecked at it awhile it got easier to eat. I should of put a bucket over it. It does give them something to do. The weather here is getting colder, overcast, with misting rain. their all standing outside pecking away. Crazy birds.I have mine in their enclosed run so nothing but my birds can eat it. Hopefully!!

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I see those at TSC, and I thought one would be nice for winter. A treat, to give them something to peck at, instead of being bored and pecking eachother. [​IMG] But I don't think it's a food suppliment--just a treat.

I think suet cakes might not be good for chickens.....suet is pure fat, and then there are some seeds mixed in. Couldn't they get fatty liver disease if you gave them this regularly throughout the winter? Maybe as an occasional treat they would be OK?

Any thoughts on this? I'm a little strict with diet, because they get a complete nutrition with their layer feed, and fresh veggies and fruits are OK, but I don't give them table scraps or other junk foods.

Or is it a good idea to fatten the flock up during the winter? I'm just not sure.......

Thoughts?

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Even though two of mine are molting badly (so aren't laying at all) chicmom, I have started giving them more scratch than usual; normally they just get one handful between them. But I've also been giving those two quite a few meat scraps to add protein, and have been very liberal with my sunflower seeds. I've also switched over to Flock Raiser (just the one bag) for this round, as it's about 4 or 5% higher in protein than my regular layer feed. We've already had several nights in the 30s, so I do want to fatten them up a little before the cold stuff really hits.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by