Flock diagnosed with Fowl Pox

wendyhughes550

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Orange City
We have 12 Golden Sex Links and today I had to euthanize one. They are 18 months old and currently going through their first molt. I took the chicken (Loretta) to our regular vet and she diagnosed it with fowl pox. Since she indicated that this virus may spread throughout my flock, I started researching and this is the info I have located thus far. Isolate, & vaccinate (where the pox is prevalent). Further, if many of the birds vaccination sites do not swell and scab over in 7-10 days, I can re-vaccinate with a new batch of vaccine. I have been advised that the disease spreads slowly and may be stopped in its tracks by vaccinating while the disease is still in progress. I assume this means that I should examine each bird to determine if I see any lesions. I had the dry form of the virus which showed wart-like nodules on the comb, wattles, ear lobes, eyes and sometimes the feet. I have been told to remove the lesions (but I don't know how). I also need to add tetracycline to the water for 3 days (which I have already purchased) as well as a vitamin supplement for 2-4 weeks (no clue as what to buy). I know where to purchase the vaccine, but have no idea as how to vaccinate a chicken. Me and my "girls" are in real trouble here, and I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thanks so much!

I just went through a bout of this recently. You CAN vaccinate and seperate and all that, but more likely then not if one is showing symptoms then they all have it. It takes 6-21 days to run it's course. It's a virus so vaccinating only helps 'unaffected' birds not those already sick. Fowl pox (dry) is like chicken pox in people, all you can do is offer vitamin/electrolyte water and let it run its course. Once they fight it off they won't get it again. But antibiotics and all that won't help, at least from what I have read and such, just chalk them up with vitamins.

Use iodine on scabs on combs, they will fall off do NOT pick them off or they will bleed, they totally heal on their own.

Here is what I did: gave ACV (apple cider vinegar) in waterer, and vitamin/electrolyte mix in other waterers. I did not seperate any birds unless they were struggling which none did. Out of my 5 birds 2 got dry pox, now everybody is fine and healthy no more scabs or anything.

Help boost their immune systems without antibiotics, you will get a better outcome regarding fowl pox IMO. Also molting takes a lot out of them, so just let them rest and try to keep the stress level down (I.e. don't mow the lawn right next to them or anything lol)

Did the one chicken you culled have the wet version? From what I have seen the wet is really the only life threat I had thought. Just curious!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom