ConvenientHomestead

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2023
Like many of you, we are planning on growing our flock this year, but with all of the AI going around we are having second thoughts.

Our first two batches of hens were bought from a local breeder/hatchery as pullets. However, we are looking to buy quite a few more (I know, chicken math) this time around and are looking at day olds to save some money. Is there any information out there regarding the danger of getting infected birds from reputable hatcheries? I feel like the chances are significantly lower with day olds (as compared to pullets), but I don't have any data to back that up, just a gut feeling.

I am building a bigger and nicer coop + run next month to house our growing flock, but I plan to keep the old small one for a quarantine, time-out, hospital space. The new run will have a roof and not just bird netting, so I've read that is a good thing to help reduce the chances of wild bird poo being an infection vector.

I'm just rambling now, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and feel free to share any other threads on the topic that I may have overlooked. If anyone is interested, I may try to document the coop + run build to share as well!

Hatcheries are highly tested for a.i right now, I wouldn't worry about. Just make sure it's a reputable hatchery.
Sounds like a nice coop!
I personaly do not like ordering started pullets since the price of a single pullet [not including shipping] is way more than the price of 20 chicks+shipping, but I don't think it will make any difference for a.i
What breeds are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom