Flock Information

Did you ever run into temperature issues with your chicks ranging in age? 7 week olds may not need a heat source but wouldn’t the 4 week olds? My 10 week olds are in the coop day and night but the 5 week old is out during the day but in the brooder with a heat source at night. Not for much longer cause it’s warming up here in Texas
I live in Florida. We don't generally experience the season others term winter. A couple cold days. This past year was unusual in that we had several of those days in a row. Heat plate for the first weeks, as soon as we are over 40s overnight, if they are big enough to be out of the brooder, they are big enough to tolerate days unassisted

Oh that will be no problem then. I have 2 week olds that are happy to stay out all day in those temps.
That’s great to hear! Just got a little worried about how the one would do with the rest being older and having the temperature difference. These guides and charts make it seem like you need to be strict with their temperature

I live in Florida. We don't generally experience the season others term winter. A couple cold days. This past year was unusual in that we had several of those days in a row. Heat plate for the first weeks, as soon as we are over 40s overnight, if they are big enough to be out of the brooder, they are big enough to tolerate days unassisted
Great! thank you all for the information. That makes us feel much better!

That’s great to hear! Just got a little worried about how the one would do with the rest being older and having the temperature difference. These guides and charts make it seem like you need to be strict with their temperature
Not at all, and I personally feel the suggested temperatures are too high. I put healthy 2-3 day old chicks out with a heating pad between mid 40s to 60s. They do use the heat frequently when very little but by around 10 days old can safely spend an hour or two away from heat, and by 2 weeks will generally only go under the heat to sleep, spending their awake time exploring instead.

Not at all, and I personally feel the suggested temperatures are too high. I put healthy 2-3 day old chicks out with a heating pad between mid 40s to 60s. They do use the heat frequently when very little but by around 10 days old can safely spend an hour or two away from heat, and by 2 weeks will generally only go under the heat to sleep, spending their awake time exploring instead.
I agree with the suggested temps being too high. My five week old will sit on their hot plate occasionally but sleep on the roost in their brooder more times that not. I rarely see them under the heat plate

Back
Top Bottom