Flock Integration Questions

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
I have 8 6 month old chickens (including cockerel), I also have 9 2 month old chicks (also including a cockerel lol) and I have 4 1 week old chicks. How should I integrate these guys? I am slightly worried my 6 month cockerel will hurt the 2 month olds. The month old chicks have been outside in a special run where the other chickens have been able to watch them. The week old chicks are in the brooder. I have read that the older pullets can sometimes kill younger chicks??? How should I do this?

With all the staggered age groups, it will require some juggling. What you should have done, and make note to do in the future, is to have all of your chickens in proximity of one another so they can begin to get acquainted at the very start and used to the idea of being one flock. That means rigging a brooder in the coop or run so the one-week olds will start to integrate right away.

The four-week olds can start to mingle with the six-month olds right now using a panic room setup. Rig some chick size openings (multiple entrances) in their pen so they can return to it when they need a rest from the pecking order. This way, they can have a safe haven from bullying and injuries can be practically eliminated.

As your one-week olds become acquainted with the flock over the next two weeks, at their three-week mark, you can add little entrances to their brooding pen so they will also have a "panic room" to run to when bullied but can begin to mingle and learn their places in the pecking order.

Keep food and water in these safe pens so the small fry always have safe access to the essentials. By the time the two sets of youngsters are around three months old, the panic rooms can be done away with. At that time, as long as you have plenty of space and perches in the run at varying heights, the youngsters can have escapes that will assure they can evade bullying. But by that time, most of your flock will be a solid unit.

I describe the integration process in this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Last edited:
With all the staggered age groups, it will require some juggling. What you should have done, and make note to do in the future, is to have all of your chickens in proximity of one another so they can begin to get acquainted at the very start and used to the idea of being one flock. That means rigging a brooder in the coop or run so the one-week olds will start to integrate right away.

The four-week olds can start to mingle with the six-month olds right now using a panic room setup. Rig some chick size openings (multiple entrances) in their pen so they can return to it when they need a rest from the pecking order. This way, they can have a safe haven from bullying and injuries can be practically eliminated.

As your one-week olds become acquainted with the flock over the next two weeks, at their three-week mark, you can add little entrances to their brooding pen so they will also have a "panic room" to run to when bullied but can begin to mingle and learn their places in the pecking order.

Keep food and water in these safe pens so the small fry always have safe access to the essentials. By the time the two sets of youngsters are around three months old, the panic rooms can be done away with. At that time, as long as you have plenty of space and perches in the run at varying heights, the youngsters can have escapes that will assure they can evade bullying. But by that time, most of your flock will be a solid unit.

I describe the integration process in this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/
Thank you, this has been very helpful. I am curious, will my 6 month old cockerel try to mate with the 2 month old pullets???

I neglected to comment on the cockerel. He should be considered a danger to all of the youngsters until after they reach mating age. I always segregate cockerels because their behavior is unpredictable until after they've passed the one-year mark. Even then, they can't automatically considered to be safe around youngsters, but by then you will know their behavioral tendencies and know what to expect from them.

My two roosters, well past the unpredictable age, both have only limited access to the hens. I've found that this makes for a much more peaceful flock and calm hens.

So just segregate the cockerel by himself? Will that make him lonely? He has been very oddly interested in them, hanging out by their pen frequently. Whenever they make a lot of noise, he comes running from wherever he is to their pen. I will have to figure out a way to keep him from them. Thank you.

My roosters have full view of the hens and can talk to them. They are either free ranging outside the run or are in a pen that's part of the run. Loneliness isn't an issue. As long as any roo can see the hens, he's content to talk to them. He doesn't always need to be mating them.

Back
Top Bottom