Flock leader?

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
I'm curious about how to identify flock leader behavior. I started letting my 16 week old pullets out of their run over the weekend. They are still confined to an approx. 200'x200' electric net area. The ladies really seemed to enjoy the access to new territory!

This was my first time observing "flock dynamics." I was looking to see if any one seemed more bold or adventurous or who was more cautious and guarded. As I'm probably over concerned with predator loss (I know its likely to happen), I noticed that they didn't seem at all concerned. They spread to all corners of the area. None seemed to be watching the skies for threats. Their heads were down and they seemed very relaxed.

I've read that a flock leader will emerge that will seem to be more cautious. Are they too young for that behavior to begin? Is it a learned behavior that will come after we've suffered a predator loss?
As we are planning to cull some of the flock in the coming weeks - I want to make sure the leader doesn't end up in the freezer, as I'm planning on letting them free range.

Thx as always.

Not a bad plan....and you may not find buyers for the POL pullets either.
I'm an over-analyzer too...it'll drive you bonkers with chicken 'planning'.
There's lots of different ways to manage a flock for food,
try what you want and see how it goes...Observe and Adjust.
Have you ever eaten a layer breed bird?

Thanks aart. As being ill prematurly ended my career, I try to keep my mind stimulated by trying and learning new things. I'm not afraid to fail, so I'll try something, learn from my mistakes and adjust. I am an animal lover, and want to be respectful of their health and lives while I learn. I'd hate to see my flock suffer from my inexperience. That's why I ask so many questions. But I'm also an omnivore - and know animals must die to feed us. So I will be as humane as possible in my learning process.

I have never eaten a layer breed, but I was a hunter, and have eaten wild turkey, duck, venison, moose and black bear. So I'm ok with gamey meat and make some mean sausage. As I was dealing with my health issue, I was confine to a wheelchair for a few years. I used that time to learn how to cook. Thankfully, I've become very competent in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure I'll find a way to make anything palatable. Even more thankfully - I'm in remission and while still mobility challenged, that wheelchair is now stored away in the basement!

I have too read that, but never had it really show up in my flock. A rooster, a good rooster, will do so. A lot of people swear that a rooster is just a speed bump, but my biggest problem with free ranging is daytime predation, and when I have a year old rooster, a good one with my girls, that predation nearly drops to zero.

If you decide to pick a rooster for this purpose, contact local chicken people. What you want is a rooster that has been raised in a multi-generational flock, with a rooster and older hens. One that is close to a year in age and is so nice, they could not quite cull him.

A rooster will change the dynamics of your flock, the girls will look to him, not you for treats. When you approach the coop, he should be the first to see you.

But I have had chickens with and without rooster for more than a dozen years, and I have never had a leader as a hen.

Mrs K

I have to agree with @Mrs. K Every flock leader I've ever had has been a rooster. I've had some very good hens, but none that I would really call a leader.
I've always had an adult rooster in my flock, so maybe that's why my hens never stepped up. :idunno

I have too read that, but never had it really show up in my flock. A rooster, a good rooster, will do so. A lot of people swear that a rooster is just a speed bump, but my biggest problem with free ranging is daytime predation, and when I have a year old rooster, a good one with my girls, that predation nearly drops to zero.

If you decide to pick a rooster for this purpose, contact local chicken people. What you want is a rooster that has been raised in a multi-generational flock, with a rooster and older hens. One that is close to a year in age and is so nice, they could not quite cull him.

A rooster will change the dynamics of your flock, the girls will look to him, not you for treats. When you approach the coop, he should be the first to see you.

But I have had chickens with and without rooster for more than a dozen years, and I have never had a leader as a hen.

Mrs K
Thank you Mrs K. As you mention, there are many who say that a hen may assume the role of leader, which is why I asked. My Bro-in-law, a life long farmer with lots of chicken experience, agrees with you - only a Roo. There seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions on the forums. I'm the type to ask tons of questions than make my own decision and live with the results.
He gave me 5 chicks that are now 6 weeks old. The are in a small pen inside the run. I think 3 are cockerels. I'm planning to integrate them in about 2 weeks, after I send 8 of my flock to the freezer. I'll go from a dozen to 4 pullets, then allow the 5 new ones lose. Then I plan on watching the cockerels to see how they mature, and cull them all in a few months, unless one looks promising. So you think that plan can work?

Curious.....Why would you put POL pullets into the freezer?

Not sure what POL means. As for reducing the flock - I need the protein. Following cancer treatments, and now I'm in remission, I cannot process iron in my diet so I need a very low iron diet. That means no beef, and I usually will have a freezer full of venison, occasional moose. So - low iron means no more hunting other than duck and wild turkey.

Raising chickens is really based on my desire to eat "cleaner" food that I can control. So I bought dual purpose chicks. I opted not to go with meat birds as I didn't even want to go with an unnatural cross. Though I may do crosses next year.

Aart- you've taught me so much. What is POL and why did you ask? What mistake am I making?

Thx as always.

I agree with AArt - POL are easily sold. Will pay for quite a bit of feed.

Personally, I introduce chicks much earlier, I am having an easy integration at 3-4 weeks. However, if you pull birds and add birds all at the same time, it kind of discombobulates and will probably work. Space and safety zones help.

I started with dual purpose birds - thinking the same thing, but I tried the meat birds last year, and will go that route from now on. The difference in the carcass is amazing. And it is not a genetically modified, just good husbandry crossing of birds.

I would keep one or two of the older(?) birds. Pullets and cockerels are not a good mix. An older hen will help grow up a good cockerel.

Good luck, I think you are off to a realistic good start.

Mrs K

Point Of Lay.
Why eat a bird that can produce eggs for you....or could be sold at a decent price?
POL pullets are the most valuable birds in a flock.
As always - you've given me something to think about.

As we are empty empty nesters, we will eat between 9-12 eggs a week. So we thought leaving 4 POL would be enough for us. Selling eggs isn't practical as we are far off the beaten path. So the plan that this newbie concocted was get a dozen, cull for meat, and leave just enough for our egg needs.
Then add some additional chicks to grow through fall, and harvest again in spring.
In hindsight, I probably should have posted my entire plan up front before getting started, but I didn't even know about this excellent site and the incredible resources you experts really are for us newbies. I tend to analyze everything (over analyze according to the Mrs). So now I'll need to noodle over your ideas, and I may post my plan to see what people think.

Selling eggs isn't practical as we are far off the beaten path. So the plan that this newbie concocted was get a dozen, cull for meat, and leave just enough for our egg needs.
Not a bad plan....and you may not find buyers for the POL pullets either.
I'm an over-analyzer too...it'll drive you bonkers with chicken 'planning'.
There's lots of different ways to manage a flock for food,
try what you want and see how it goes...Observe and Adjust.
Have you ever eaten a layer breed bird?

Back
Top Bottom