Flock/Life Journey's 2019

Thank you Krystal! My cat's name is Marshall. We got him as a kitten in 2012 at the apartment complex we lived at. Our neighbors had a white cat with some calico spots that had 5 kittens. The other 4 were a calico that they kept, an orange tabby that went to my mother in law, a tuxedo who went to our other neighbor, and a grey tabby to another neighbor before he ran away. I chose him between the other 3 because he was the only fluffy one but if I were to choose another cat in the future I would go with a shorthaired cat...I have asthma and allergies and his cat hair is everywhere, we even find it in our food and he would get dirty litter stuck to his fur and then it'd go everywhere as well, brushing does help though. Longhaired cats usually do live longer than shorthaired because they get less hairball problems...he vomits up some from time to time. I know shorthaired cats do too but longhaired more ofcourse...anyway sorry if that was too much info...

I have a habit of liking posts even though they have bad news like your most recent one does, so I didn't mean to like it but to acknowledge it, hope you have a better day today! :)
:goodpost:

View attachment 1650600 Sorry I jumped in the middle of this thread and missed the part about introductions lol

My name is Kim. I am a native of Arizona and California, USA (was born in AZ but spent about the same amount of time in each state) but moved to Canada where I live with my husband and 11 month old son.
The only pet/animal I currently have is my 6 year old cat, Marshall. The Silkies in my avatar I got for my mom in California. They were born June 5th but when I asked my mom yesterday about them she says they haven’t crowed nor laid. She has another white Silkie hen who 6-8 years of age who is laying daily. I actually am thinking one of her eggs could be the pullet’s egg so I will ask my mom if she has seen any eggs that are smaller than usual lately.
We will be moving to a house with a yard possibly in May. I will start adding pets with guppy fish and then button quail and maybe in a year or two 3 hens as that is what is allowed in Gatineau, Quebec if we move to a house with at least 450m^2 of land. About 2 acres of land is needed if I wanted more chickens...we will get there eventually. Hopefully in less than a decade:rolleyes:

Anyway I’ll attach a picture of my cat. Nice posts everyone.
Hi Kim :frow
Love this picture, your cat is a real cutie :love

Yep! But his tail seems a little long. I wonder what he is? Were the other ones a black australorp, barred rock ,EE and , some sort of frizzle? I am trying to get better at breed identification!

The Barred one is a Dominique/EE mix. The white one was a hatchery EE or she might be the EEs mixed breed daughter. The frizzled one and the black one are Spencers sisters, possibly an Australorp mix with Rodney as the father.
700 (1).jpg

The Barred one is a Dominique/EE mix. The white one was a hatchery EE or she might be the EEs mixed breed daughter. The frizzled one and the black one are Spencers sisters, possibly an Australorp mix with Rodney as the father.
View attachment 1650987
Thank you!!! DO you know if there can be a genetic mutation if you breed certain breeds together? And have you cross-bred much? If so what are your favorite crosses? Sorry to keep on bothering you!!

View attachment 1650797 View attachment 1650798 View attachment 1650800 View attachment 1650801 View attachment 1650802 View attachment 1650803 View attachment 1650804 View attachment 1650805 View attachment 1650806 View attachment 1650807 View attachment 1650808 View attachment 1650809 View attachment 1650810 View attachment 1650811 View attachment 1650812 View attachment 1650813 View attachment 1650814 View attachment 1650815 View attachment 1650816 View attachment 1650817 View attachment 1650818 View attachment 1650819 Okay, where we used to live.. which is about 30 mins south of here and it’s very swampy... pretty much suburbs in the swamp! We lived in a neighborhood that had a huge pond and our house was in front of it.. so we had all sorts of critters. We raised all the ones in the pics.. except for the eagle.. of course. This eagle had just caught a fish in the pond and was eating in the tree. I was about ten feet from it! AMAZING! Of course my good camera was not working at the time!!
The opossums we caught out of our gutter.. this was one of the squirrels we raised but isn’t the one I raised from a pinky.. can’t find her pics.. and the nutria was caught by the pond... SO cute.. we called him Bucky beaver.. they are like puppies.. will follow you everywhere. I would joke.. “you know you’re a redneck when your pet nutria swims in the kiddie pool with your child!”
We also caught plenty of baby ducks from the pond as there were tons of ducks.. most of the ducklings would get killed by preds before they had a chance to grow up so we’d catch some to raise and let go! We also raised a flying squirrel here at our new place.. no pics.. that’s the problem with phones!
Excuse the quality of the pics as I used my tablet to take pics of my photos.
Great pictures!

Thank you!!! DO you know if there can be a genetic mutation if you breed certain breeds together? And have you cross-bred much? If so what are your favorite crosses? Sorry to keep on bothering you!!

I'm not bothered at all! I believe frizzled birds can have some mutations. I'm not one for genetics, so I'm not the best person to ask this! Most of My chickens have been mixed breeds. It's cool what characteristics can come out of chickens!

I enjoy the look of my Bearded Black Copper Marans. A few of my girls are mixed between an EE and a BCM I believe.

Photo Editor-20190120_175314.jpg

Back
Top Bottom