Flock/Life Journey's 2019

ETA. Oops. Give me a second to finish this!
First off, Happy birthday Krystal! I just read all 114 pages in the last couple of hours and this thread seems great!

You guys can call me J, even though my handle has absolutely nothing to do with my actual name! I'm a native central floridian and currently have almost 30 chickens and 6 muscovy ducks.

I started over after the majority of my flock was killed by an unknown predator and hatched out some mixed breed chicks on September 22. They are about a day from being 4 months old!

They could be any mix of Speckled Sussex, BBS Copper Marans, Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers, EEs, Leghorns, Red Sexlink and Salmon Faverolles.

I rehomed all of the cockerels a few weeks ago, pretty boys but too big to continue to try to mount the Bantam girls I have. I only kept a frizzled Bantam Cochin cockerel who is the least masculine cockerel I've ever met.

At over 5 months old I've only seen him crow once a few days ago! He's also not very interested in breeding the girls yet, so he's doing a good job so far at being calm and controlled. I also have a Batchelor coop for the Bantam cockerels from last springs TSC straight run Bantam bin.

I went out just before dark today and got some pictures of my flock. I got a picture of everyone I hatched myself.

The girl in front was taking a drink of water and the one in the back was looking all sassy! :lol: It's the beard that makes it! (No the water is not dirty I just need to scrub the milk jug down)
View attachment 1648055
This is the little biter! Always finding something interesting, like a scab, and pecking it.
View attachment 1648063

Beards just make me happy!:love How could you look at this and be sad!
View attachment 1648080

View attachment 1648087
Seeing if she can get a spot on my shoulder.
View attachment 1648088

View attachment 1648091
My girl in the back is Gimpy. She had a slipped achilles tendon when she was about a month old. She limps but gets around quite well. She enjoys cuddles and was known as Tax Chicken yesterday. She came in the house with me when my sister was doing her taxes online and 'helped' by talking back when she was asked questions. All hail the Tax Chicken! :bow
View attachment 1648092

The background girl in the first picture, this is A photo all by herself.
View attachment 1648098
A group shot of my bantams.
View attachment 1648099
Burr it's getting cold out!
View attachment 1648102
That's all from today!

Now for more Gimpy!
View attachment 1648107

View attachment 1648113
Here's the frizzled Bantam Cochin cockerel. Isn't he cute?
View attachment 1648117

View attachment 1648119
Some foraging going on. This was before the cockerels where rehomed.
View attachment 1648121

View attachment 1648123

View attachment 1648125
One of three silver duckwing OEGBs.
View attachment 1648126
Lavender OEGB.
View attachment 1648127
Lavender and red Pyle OEGBs and the head of a porcelain d'uccles peaking out.
View attachment 1648128

Dust bath!

View attachment 1648131

Now the ducks! I have 2 drakes and 4 ducks. I need to get more girls to make sure there's enough of them to keep everyone happy.
2 ducks. View attachment 1648132
View attachment 1648134

View attachment 1648136
One of the drakes.
View attachment 1648139

View attachment 1648142
Another duck.
View attachment 1648143

View attachment 1648146

View attachment 1648147
The other drake. He looks funny because he's about to sit down!
View attachment 1648148

View attachment 1648150
And the final picture of one of the ducks.
View attachment 1648153
Hi J, I’m Beth, from WV. I loved looking at all your pictures and especially liked the chicken with the beard.

Anyone have or have had any 'exotic' or 'strange' animals? Like rare fowl, rodents, birds or reptiles?

I've had mice, hamsters, a cockatiel and currently have two bearded dragons.

This is Muchu. He was my first bearded dragon.
View attachment 1650420
My most recent boy, Yoshi.
View attachment 1650422
Mushu doesn't particularly like Yoshi. His beard turns black and starts head bobbing. Go ahead and watch some YouTube videos of bearded dragons head bobbing. It's funny to watch, but is a aggressive behavior. Arm waving is a sign of submission and is also cool to watch.
I have birds, Canaries, Finches, Rosy Bourkes ... but nothing exotic.

This is my lop eared rabbit Thumper
A8BF615F-5E3D-4D9C-A1A0-9B2F85C1F932.jpeg

Kayla I’m glad you’re going to try the rooster flock although I do agree with Krystal unless you think they will be happy being pets and won’t be aggressive. I might have a bantam rooster flock one day when I get chickens. I might occasionally breed them.

February must be a multiple birthdays in a family month.
Our 2nd son 2/17, 3rd grandson 2/18. Husband 2/26, 2nd grandson 2/27

Today is my grandfather’s cousin’s birthday. Susie passed away in November. She was happy to beat cancer but died of emphysema. If it weren’t for her taking an AncestryDNA test I wouldn’t have been able to find out who my grandfather was. He was a US marine in the Vietnam war. I have since been able to grow that branch of my family tree back to Viking times and it has become what will be a lifelong hobby. We also got my husband’s great grandma DNA tested, I’m glad we did because I found a lot of connections with relatives that I wouldn’t have and learned about DH and DS’s family history. Might be something you may want to consider getting your mom if you or your family has any interest in family history.

I told my partner what your husband said and his like that was kinda good come back. And I was like ohhhh really? He didnt say anything else lol.

Food is soooo good! I don't eat much bad food but. But the weight just stays the same.

I was so annoyed by the guy fixing my roof lining. Im pretty smart when it comes to legislation and stuff so when I was paying I was so ready to pull out all the knowledge I have. I know who to call, what to say and how to get them investigated so I was so ready for that conversation.

Im usually sooo nice but yesterday I was stressed and sick so I was not taking shit.

Ohhh and no I never seen the sailor boy after he jumped in my friend's lamp.

I have afew ghost stories still but that one makes me chill a bit.
Lol I called my mom to rat him out and she said something that made it sound like she agreed with him. I was like mom if you’re not gonna call him a doofus or something we can drop the subject. Except I said it in Vietnamese and there isn’t a word for doofus that I know of in Viet but yeah something along those lines. Glad you are getting better.

x3

About Hailey, that poor girl. I know polygraph tests aren’t admissible in court but they should still do them. Some cold cases are being cracked recently using genetic genealogy but without any DNA to go off there isn’t much that can be done. That’s why I wish more drones can be put in public places, or CCTV cameras. Too many people care too much about privacy at the cost of security. I wish they’d leave their privacy concerns at home or in the bathroom.

After several weeks I finally convinced mum and dad and I got him
He's a cutie. I love lop eared bunnies. I had one but one time he got out of his cage and my dachshund chased him- she was too fast for me. He died just from that. I didn't know rabbits stress out that easily. I didn't see her bite him but it was many years ago so I am not too sure. He was beige colored and his mom was tortoiseshell.

Thought I'd share a pic of my grandfather and one of Susie in memory of them. Susie lived near memphis and had chats with Elvis' father, I think she said his name was Vern. I found out Elvis is my 8th cousin through 2 lines using the We're Related app. When I was working as a practical nurse in California one of my patients said she changed towels in Biloxi, MS for him when he was at the swimming pool at a hotel there. My neighbor's brother had a lunch with him in Sedona, Arizona. That dude went everywhere. Speaking of AZ I found out my grandfather went to highschool less than an hour from where I went to highschool. He also lived less than half an hour from where I lived in California. He was born in TX and I thought I didn't have much ties to that state other than ordering chicks a billion times from Ideal Poultry til I found out my aunt's sister lives there and so does a 2nd cousin.

Anyways Susie was sweet, avid John Wayne fan. Also a practical nurse. She loved crochet and I still have a cross from her. My grandfather's name was Sonny and she would tell me about him since I didn't get to know him. She showed me her grey and yellow cockatiel which she named Sonny but it may have been spelled Sunny because she had those orange cockatiel cheeks that look like suns.
94ff7c39-73cb-41a1-8621-a2d080733e9c.jpg

Susie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom