Flock/Life Journey's 2019

I don't know what happened! I'm not sure if it was due to pasty butt issues, got too cold and got trampled, or we have coccidia again?! Went out to check on babies to see how they were doing with new brooder heater, lifted it and two of my chicks were dead! :barnie :hit:hit:hit thankfully not Paprika, but not sure what to do. If I treat for coccidia and it's not that could it hurt them? I'm going to post in issues forum too.

I don't know what happened! I'm not sure if it was due to pasty butt issues, got too cold and got trampled, or we have coccidia again?! Went out to check on babies to see how they were doing with new brooder heater, lifted it and two of my chicks were dead! :barnie :hit:hit:hit thankfully not Paprika, but not sure what to do. If I treat for coccidia and it's not that could it hurt them? I'm going to post in issues forum too.
corid will not hurt them. Do they have symptoms? Is the Brooder the correct height for them?

corid will not hurt them. Do they have symptoms? Is the Brooder the correct height for them?

I have not seen any bloody poo, they have been all dealing with pasty butt, so I e seen poo a lot. Maybe it wasn't at right hieght? The pamphlet for it wasn't much help, I had it on top level, when I took the passed away ones out I lowered it down one level. I think my feeder might be too big now with it in there. It just really shocked me to find them.

I have not seen any bloody poo, they have been all dealing with pasty butt, so I e seen poo a lot. Maybe it wasn't at right hieght? The pamphlet for it wasn't much help, I had it on top level, when I took the passed away ones out I lowered it down one level. I think my feeder might be too big now with it in there. It just really shocked me to find them.
It should be set so that they can push up into the bottom of the plate. The plate does not pruduce enough heat to heat the space-- It works like a broody mom with contact

We took heating plate out for now, repositioned heating lamp, and we'll see how they do tonight. We took temps and the heat just wasn't getting warm enough in the cold shed. :( if it gets a little warmer than we'll use plate again.
Yes! Brooder plates are a different beast for sure. See my previous post

It should be set so that they can push up into the bottom of the plate. The plate does not pruduce enough heat to heat the space-- It works like a broody mom with contact

That makes sense! The two that died were suffocated, so we think the plate was too high so they were standing on top of each other and those two didn't make it. I'm looking at videos on best height for different ages of chicks to help me better understand for next time. We did put heat lamp back in, triple secured it and have the level so only one area is now 85 degrees. Everyone is peeping and only Huddle's when scary camera comes out :gig :gig
IMG_20200202_132121738.jpg

Everyone is getting starter feathers in!
Looks like we might have Barnevelders, barred rocks, and either EEs, welsummers, speckled Sussex, or OE. The yellow ones absolutely no clue!

Back
Top Bottom