Flock maintenance

kdk1101

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Indian Land, SC
We are building a new mega coop and run. I have fought gapeworm twice in my old run and while I have found no mites or evidence of mites on my chickens I do find mites under the bricks I put their feeders and waterers on if I don't spray regularly with Neem oil. What can I do treatment wise before I move them to make sure I don't move any of that with us, especially things with no egg withdrawal? Not DE, not up for discussion. I personally don't like the lung irritant warnings. I know OSHA says it is safe but they said asbestos was safe once upon a time and both of my mom's parents died from it and my mom had early stage mesothelioma but heart failure got her first.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I do find mites under the bricks I put their feeders and waterers on if I don't spray regularly with Neem oil.
Keep using the Neem?
Are you sure those 'mites' you are finding on the ground but not your birds are poultry mites? I would think they'd be on your birds if they are, so maybe not a concern?

chickengeorgeto

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Big Bend of the Tennessee River's Right Bank.
Pyrethrin, the natural form of Permethrin has been used as an insecticide for maybe 1,000 years and until the government changes their mind there is no egg withdrawal warnings with Permethrin.

I have never heard of chicken mites living under bricks or paving stones. Also every form of chicken mite that I am familiar with spends all of its time on the chicken.

The only exception is the Red Mite.

Top Bottom