Flock maintenance

kdk1101

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Indian Land, SC
We are building a new mega coop and run. I have fought gapeworm twice in my old run and while I have found no mites or evidence of mites on my chickens I do find mites under the bricks I put their feeders and waterers on if I don't spray regularly with Neem oil. What can I do treatment wise before I move them to make sure I don't move any of that with us, especially things with no egg withdrawal? Not DE, not up for discussion. I personally don't like the lung irritant warnings. I know OSHA says it is safe but they said asbestos was safe once upon a time and both of my mom's parents died from it and my mom had early stage mesothelioma but heart failure got her first.

I do find mites under the bricks I put their feeders and waterers on if I don't spray regularly with Neem oil.
Keep using the Neem?
Are you sure those 'mites' you are finding on the ground but not your birds are poultry mites? I would think they'd be on your birds if they are, so maybe not a concern?

Pyrethrin, the natural form of Permethrin has been used as an insecticide for maybe 1,000 years and until the government changes their mind there is no egg withdrawal warnings with Permethrin.

I have never heard of chicken mites living under bricks or paving stones. Also every form of chicken mite that I am familiar with spends all of its time on the chicken.

The only exception is the Red Mite.

Back
Top Bottom