Flock Management Troubles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kitty Cat, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I'm not sure that this particularly goes under "Flock Management" but it's the closest I could think of.

For the first year and a half of owning chickens my chickens were fine. I had one die of worms but that was just because I didn't know what was wrong with her and thought she was just vitamin deficient.
    Anyway the past two and a half years my flock has been hit repeatedly with illnesses one after the other. First it was a mysterious disease that killed three of our best layers. Then Marek's (possible mysterious disease) killed our beloved rooster. Another rooster just died out of the blue (suspected hate crime) I might add one of the prettiest roosters I've ever seen or raised. Then after that I had to kill about six other hens who were showing signs of illness. Now, I have what appears to be infectious corzya running through my flock. A hen decided to set, and about mid way through she started getting all these bumps on her and then her eyes swelled shut, then the chick, which hatched out fine, started getting these boil looking things on her beak, which migrated to her eye, which swelled shut, and now it is migrating to her other eye. At first I thought maybe it was just mites, since mites can cause little scabs on the crowns of chickens. I dusted everyone and a few of the hens appear to be getting better but the ones who are really sick don't seem to be improving. On top of that I found wormy poop the other day, so I wormed everyone. Now, everyone is on Sulmet for the treatment of corzya.

Am I the only one having serious issues with chickens? Am I doing something wrong?

They always have clean fresh water, the nest boxes are always clean, the coop itself I sweep every week! They have fresh clean food daily. I've cloroxed my coop probably 4 times since all of this started. I'm at the point where I just want to get out of this whole chicken hobby thing!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry for your chicken troubles. Maybe another thing to rule out is fowl pox.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    scratch'n'peck :

Sorry for your chicken troubles. Maybe another thing to rule out is fowl pox.

[​IMG]
    Do you get alot of mosquito's where you are? That would up your chances of fowl pox.
    The scabby bumps leads me to believe that you may have a case of it.
    Normally the dry form isn't fatal, but the wet form can be.
    One of my chickens had fowl pox and it started with her eye being swollen closed, then the pox marks showed up.

Sorry to hear about your losses its definitely not fun :[.
    Ive lost alot of chickens before for different reasons and i know how much it hurts.
    I hope things get better for you guys!​

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Kitty Cat

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I live in Louisiana where mosquitoes breed in the millions! Upon further research I believe it is fowl pox, I'm going to examine their mouths today to make sure it isn't wet pox!
    The Sulmet said it was for fowl pox so hopefully it will help keep them from getting wet pox.
    Maybe this is what we've had all along! Though it's never progressed this far before!
    I am going to see about vaccinating everyone who doesn't have the fowl pox currently.

Does anyone know if vaccinating chickens with fowl pox will increase their chances of survival? Or is that not recommended?

There's hope!!

5. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Ya, fowl pox is highly contagious and can last very long so some chickens may not get it till months later.
    The scabs, puss/discharge, and dandruff can be contagious so isolate the ones that are showing signs of illness from the ones that seem ok.
    Make sure you sanitize well after touching fowl pox birds, otherwise you could spread it to the others.
    If some have died, it probably was wet pox, since dry pox doesn't commonly kill.
    I would keep them on the sulmet, like you are planning to do.
    Antibiotics help fight off secondary infections they may develop from their weakened immune system.
    Make sure you give them a pro-biotic like yogurt while they are taking the antibiotics.
    The good thing is, the ones that have gotten over it, won't get it again.

Its not advised to vaccinate any birds that show signs of fowl pox because it could make it worse.
    So check all your birds and only vaccinate the birds that don't show any symptoms.

If you need any help feel free to pm me.
    My chicken just got over fowl pox so i may be of some help.
    There are many people on here who have dealt with fowl pox too and know alot about it and how to treat it.

6. Kitty Cat

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I don't really have a way to separate the sick hens, there are several of them. All of them are in the same coop and have been exposed to this for several weeks.

Does small pox reoccur? If my hens were introduced to hens who have never been vaccinated nor had fowl pox, could the healthy hens contract small pox from my hens?

Other than Sulmet and yogurt, what else can I do for my hens?

I've heard of something called Immuno Boost, from McMurray Hatchery. Would that do my hens any good?

Why are my hens constantly getting sick?

They're on the best feed I can find around here, among other healthy clean facility habits. Could mice and roaches make them sick if they're getting into the feed bowls at night? (there isn't much I can do about pests such as these being that my coop is partially open and to put out poison is impossible with chickens!)

7. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Fowl pox cannot reoccur in the chickens that have lived through it.
    But if there scabs fall off or the virus come in contact with the healthy chickens, then they could get it.
    If any still have scabs/pox marks, you can put neosporin on them (not the painkiller kind).
    Sadly there is not much you can do to treat fowl pox. Just keep their immune systems up, keep them calm and comfortable.
    You can feed them scrambled eggs for protein if you like. If you see wet pox lesions, i heard you can put iodine on them (i'm pretty sure its iodine but double check i'm telling you the right thing).
    If they have wet pox, you will notice they won't be eating or drinking. In which case you will have to do this for them.
    The reason they may keep getting sick is the fowl pox lowers their immune systems and makes them easily exposed to other illnesses.

I wouldn't pump them with too much because that might overwhelm their bodies, so keep doing the antibiotics and pro-biotics.
    If you want to vaccinate, vaccinate only the ones that aren't showing symptoms.

Its seems like mosquito's are your biggest problem so if there is a way to help prevent/protect them from the mosquito population, that will lower the chances of the other chickens getting fowl pox.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. Kitty Cat

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    How long do I continue using the Sulmet? It only says for 2 days, I did one extra day, I've also ordered the Immuno Boost for pro-biotics and immunity boost. They recommended it for use with antibiotics.

My little chick seems to be doing alright, she keeps scratching the lesions on her eye and nose. They're kind of bloody, and scabbed over, however when I put neosporin on them it just made her scratch even more! Her mother seems to be getting better, her eyes are now open, I've also let her roam around with the other chickens which seems to be improving her health.

Other than those few updates, there really isn't much improvement in my little flock. But I have been told this area is being hit rather hard with fowl pox, so I am reassured that I am not doing anything wrong, but simply suffering with other chicken breeders! [​IMG]

9. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I'm not sure about sulmet because i used tetracycline (just a different antibiotic). I used it till they were 100% better.
    So you will have to ask someone else who used sulmet.

I think the scratching is normal. My chicken had it right on her eyelid too and it irritated her alot.
    The blood normally means its popped which is good. Once its scabbed over it should be ready to fall off.
    If the neosporin seems to bother her, then don't use it. (have you been useing the non painkiller kind?)

Sadly fowl pox takes awhile to heal and you just have to be patient.
    As long as they arn't getting worse, i would say you are on the right track!

I know your pain though, I'm still waiting for one of my chickens last scab to fall off, its taking so long :p (its been about a month).
    Once the scab falls off i can finally put her back with the others!

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i am so sorry for your problems! Trust me, i understand how you feel. i haven't lost a single bird to predators, but i have to a host of different illnesses, diseases, and freak accidents. You sound like you are doing a great job, but you may need the help of a knowledgeable vet. You don't want to be treating for one thing when it's really another. i'm not sure exactly where you are located, but all states have a State Vet. Are you in the US? My state vet directed me to a local university that performs free necropsies (autopsies for chickens). So whenever i have a bird die of unknown cause, i take the body there to find out exactly what happened. i just hate "not knowing". Plus, you get a heads up about what diseases might be present in your flock. i'm also super lucky to have a vet nearby who is an expert with chickens and other birds, like ducks and geese. You may want to find a good vet in your area, but i know that isn't always possible.

i had one hen once with fowl pox. It was the dry kind and healed fairly quickly. You can dab iodine on the scabs which help them dry. i never used antibiotics as she seemed healthy, other than the scabs. i also vaccinated the rest of the flock. For eye issues, use Terramycin ointment. It is specifically for eye infections and won't harm or itch. i always keep a couple tubes on hand. i've used it on my cats, my chickens and ducks, and even on myself. You can buy it online.

What i have found with chickens (and now ducks and geese) is that it is a huge learning experience. i made so many mistakes in the beginning, and still do. i just keep reading and learning, and trying to improve from each new event. i truly hope things improve for you and you get to the bottom of what is infecting your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by