Flock noise question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So if I don't go in the back yard, my flock of ducks (in 2 partitions) will stay quiet all day.

But if I go back there they are noisy all day. The females will suddenly be belching out spontaneous yacking at intervals.

I'm trying to figure out what their meaning is emotionally?

If they are noisy when you are around is that 'alarm'? Or happy? Or 'watch out the boss is here'? Or ...what kind of raw emotions does this tend to be? (I had already fed them so I I don't think at this time it was hunger.)

I understand that we can't talk to animals, but they have basic instincts that are based on their core needs; happy, hungry, unhappy, etc. We should be able to at least get an idea of some raw emotions I think?

Curious what you think?

In our culture, we assume only humans can communicate pleasantries to one another, but all living things communicate not only with each other but with us humans. Yes, I'm going so far as to include stationary life forms such as trees and house plants.

When I'm not present, my flock is mostly quiet, only occasionally making some sort of chatter. But when I walk into the run or even just pass a chicken on my way to the run, the chickens will acknowledge me with at minimum a single note. As I enter the run, I get a chorus of demands to produce something to eat.

Birds in general have a complex language that includes notes of varying number and emphasis that communicate things. I'm not versed in duck language, but my chickens have a five note phrase for "dangerous animal approaching", and I look up to see a bear 100 yards away. Another five note phrase with a slightly different accent will let me know the cows have come down from the top of the hill behind the run. Another similar phrase will let me know my neighbor is walking down that same hill. The difference will be which note has the emphasis.

You can learn a lot listening to poultry. They aren't just food animals.

I guess I should also ask as part of this, 'how do you know if they like you?'

But I'm still interested in other comments related to the main idea; I just wished I'd included this as part of that.

With ducks 3 sharp notes in a row seems to be the alarm. Less than that is something else. But I can't remember if there's sometimes more than 3 notes in a row?

I am interested in chickens also. But just my town has more restrictions on chickens than ducks, so that's forced me to work around it.

'how do you know if they like you?'
That's an easy one. Those that don't like you will behave like a magnet in reverse, moving away from you as you enter their space. Those that simply tolerate you will remain motionless as you enter their space. The ones that like you will purposely enter your space, "paw" at your leg to be picked up, and then they like to snuggle under your chin.

That's an easy one. Those that don't like you will behave like a magnet in reverse, moving away from you as you enter their space. Those that simply tolerate you will remain motionless as you enter their space. The ones that like you will purposely enter your space, "paw" at your leg to be picked up, and then they like to snuggle under your chin.

Man, I am doing it wrong then....mine never paw at me to be picked up anymore :th
I used to sit on a stool in the coop with mine when they were younger and several would voluntarily jump up on my lap and want to be petted. Now that they free range most of the day, they just come running initially because I have food. One of my roosters hates me and attacks me if I try to sit in their chicken yard with them now :hit

Man, I am doing it wrong then....mine never paw at me to be picked up anymore :th
I used to sit on a stool in the coop with mine when they were younger and several would voluntarily jump up on my lap and want to be petted. Now that they free range most of the day, they just come running initially because I have food. One of my roosters hates me and attacks me if I try to sit in their chicken yard with them now :hit
Chickens can be fickle. I have a Welsummer hen that adores me. Most of the time. But when she molts, if I try to touch her, "screeeeeeeech!" Doesn't want to have a thing to do with me until she's all finished.

Moody.

Back
Top Bottom