Flock of Chicks

I also agree with pictures. Many people think their eggs are fertile because of the white spot but it is a natural thing. (Not my pictures)

Attachments

• 20210302_135120.jpg
    20210302_135120.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 7
  • hredirect2.jpeg.jpg
    hredirect2.jpeg.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 7
Is it even possible for a rooster to be silent its entire life?

That's sort of what our yolks looked like. I'll crack some when I get in tonight and post the photos here.

Our next flock

Attachments

• BEA87F65-D417-441D-8E70-F3D138FDA9AF.jpeg
    BEA87F65-D417-441D-8E70-F3D138FDA9AF.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 8EEEA2F3-0AF6-4856-ADED-0A9270ED3FDC.jpeg
    8EEEA2F3-0AF6-4856-ADED-0A9270ED3FDC.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 5
Should I just leave the eggs out there for a few weeks and see if we have baby chicks?
Not a good idea, especially if you are not sure the eggs are truly fertilized, you never free range?
...and you have all those chicks(hope you have room for them).

They both will sit on eggs every night but none of them sit on eggs all day.
If not sitting during the day they are not broody,
would be good to figure out they are sleeping in the nests at night.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Not a good idea, especially if you are not sure the eggs are truly fertilized, you never free range?
...and you have all those chicks(hope you have room for them).

If not sitting during the day they are not broody,
would be good to figure out they are sleeping in the nests at night.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.
Good points, everyone's input is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Currently constructing a new coop and run for all of our birds. Upgrading to larger brooders this weekend to accommodate chicks. We typically let them free-range during the day while at work and whenever we're outside on weekends.

Not sitting all day, as far as I can tell, but sitting on eggs at night every night and making lots of racket (clucks and squawks) all day. Cheeks are turning a little pale on some, also.

Back
Top Bottom