Flock Raiser + Oyster Shell = Layena?

I use layer feed that contains animal protein--it's listed on the bag as "porcine". There is no "mad chicken disease" and frankly, they will eat each other if given the chance, with no harmful side effects. I make a point of buying feed that contains animal protein, though it's getting harder to find it. They remove that ingredient but never tell you on the front of the bag-you have to read labels every time to see if they've gone veggie.

Flock Raiser is made for all fowl, so why lower the protein? Ducks are part of whom it is made for. As far as chickens, I often use 22% layer pellets for my birds, especially when they are all molting. I do not use Flock Raiser because it's vegetarian and too expensive anyway. I do sell eggs from time to time and folks like that I don't use antibiotics on my birds. The organic thing is sort of weird since what is more organic than bugs and meat? I'm not changing my birds' feed for the customers so if they have issues with that, they'll need to go elsewhere.

Any good quality all purpose feed plus supplemental calcium is fine.

Quote:
You're absolutely right about the Flock Raiser being too expensive. It's $15.00 for a 50lb bag. The only reason that I use it is because I have pullets and hens of all different ages and Flock Raiser is the only thing that all of them can eat. I can't feed the laying pellets to the pullets. As soon as those little girls reach the age for laying pellets, I'm all over those laying pellets. I hate that I have to use that Flock Raiser but because all of the girls are together, I have no choice. That price is killing me.
barnie.gif
I'm reading all of these posts for ideas and suggestions. I'm all ears.
idunno.gif

Chickens though evolved to be omnivores. To be healthy they need a wide range of protein sources including animal protein. So while it may appeal to the vegetarians it is not as healthy for the birds. Granted having named meat ingredients of quality would be great there just isn't enough demand for it since chickens are pretty durable towards low quality food sources and most people want to feed them as cheaply as possible. Personally I don't think salmonella is that much of a concern in our own pets and livestock or ourselves as it is in commercial situations. Many animals now raised commercial don't have much of an immune system for various reasons and rely on a lot of medications or strict protocols to prevent illness. Most of our typical backyard flocks will have been exposed to a lot more and have built up a lot better immune system plus generally be healthier from the variety of food, exercise, and fresh air they usually get. Personally I purposely look for poultry feeds that have animal protein even if the quality is unknown.

Quote:
Hmmm... I think I got nabbed by an autobot which thought I was disobeying Rule #2 by mentioning an organization which disapproves of mistreating animals or eating them, LOL!

"2. No P E T A or Cock fighting posts, period!"

Back
Top Bottom