Flock size?

GimmyChickens

Hatching
Sep 6, 2016
I'm needing some advice on flock size for winter..... I started out with 6 chickens, but am now down to 2 due to predators and sour crop (we have now made our coop more predator proof and I have learned the hard way on how to spot and treat sour crop.). I live in Southern Illinois and it can get pretty cold here in the winter. Will 2 chickens be enough body heat to keep them warm at night in the winter? Should I try to find a few more hens? I planned on getting some more chicks in the spring, but just don't know if I should get some more now before winter sets in. I really don't want to use a heat lamp in the coop because I don't want to start a fire. My coop is pretty small. It holds up to 5 chickens, so I'm thinking they may be fine in there. Just not sure. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

I am north of you in Wisconsin. Chickens keep themselves warm. Occasionally they will group up in really cold snaps. Yours will be fine. Block the winds, proper roosts, good ventilation, warm water, perhaps warm mash, and some sunshine when it's out and your birds will be fine. My shed has a west facing open doorway all winter, closing up a coop too tightly or providing heat can cause more troubles than help.

I am north of you in Wisconsin. Chickens keep themselves warm. Occasionally they will group up in really cold snaps. Yours will be fine. Block the winds, proper roosts, good ventilation, warm water, perhaps warm mash, and some sunshine when it's out and your birds will be fine. My shed has a west facing open doorway all winter, closing up a coop too tightly or providing heat can cause more troubles than help.
Ditto Dat^^^^!!

Thanks! Just want to make sure my two girls will be warm for the winter! I'll get some more in the spring when my life settles down a bit!

What are the dimensions of your coop and run?
Some pics would be great too, that way you can get better advice on its true capacity.
For example: My coop is 4x4 with an 8x16 5-sided run. I keep 5 hens in it and would not keep 6.

Back
Top Bottom