Erinrocks

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
Hi all,
Here’s a brief history on our new little flock:

We were given four chicks (Wyandotte, Cochin, Sussex) at the beginning of shelter in place because the person who hatched them wasn’t able to keep them. We are new to chickens but I’ve done a lot of research and were able to raise them with no problems & they are now almost 15 weeks old! They transition to living outside in their coop and run very easily as they already loved being outside when I would take them for outside playtime. We swiftly found out that one of the chicks was a Cockrell and we are lucky enough to have one of the farmers I work for take him just 3 weeks ago (he was starting to crow and our city doesn’t allow roosters 😢). He was an exceptional roo & really kept the girls in line!

Here’s my concern:
ever since he’s left they’ve seemed to be just fine and kept the routine of coming out of the coop in the morning, bopping around the run, and taking them selves in at night. In the last week or so I’ve noticed that a lot of the times during the day that I look out to check on them they are all inside the coop. This week we’ve had some fairly dramatic weather changes from days in the high 90s to low 60s and pretty windy the next day. We’ve also had a bunch of fireworks being set (some are being fired off right now even) throughout the day and evening (totally normal for my neighborhood from Easter through Labor Day).

Do you all think they are afraid or just getting broody bc they are almost at laying age or all of the above? I haven’t been able to determine who the new leader is but do see them posture and squabble a bit (All three are fairly feisty).
Thank you!

When one goes away I would assume the rest think something got it, so they become more cautious for a while. There also will be some pecking order shifts as they get used to the new numbers.

Sometimes as the near the point of lay they will stick closer to the coop as well, but I would assume they are just a bit concerned the rooster disappeared.

Attachments

• 8ADCFB62-9E83-42F2-8154-4683CD0280D3.jpeg
    8ADCFB62-9E83-42F2-8154-4683CD0280D3.jpeg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom