Flock troubles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the1honeycomb, Mar 26, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I have had many troubles with predators. I have restarted my flock several times! I really want to be a responsible Chicken owner and love my birds but all my efforts lead to more questions.
    I have the rooster from my first flock of 6, lost some to a huge snake and possibly a coon.
    one flock found just dead in the pen.
    I have more bad luck than good but I now have 6 large fowl 3 EE, 1 sex link and 2 cochins
    2 bantums a male ee and a femal cochin
    and 11 chicks. I have the chicks in a contained area that is maintained at 80+ degrees.
    it is still chilly here 50's should build them a seperate brooder box??
    I have a large double run totally fenced in 50 x 20 6 feet tall.
    I just don't want to lose any more.
    any suggestions??

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sorry you've had so much loss... What kind of fencing are you using? Remember, chicken wire only keeps chickens in. If that run is not hardware cloth, you are taking a chance. Until your chicks are feathered out, you need to keep that heat on them. Good luck!

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    We also dug down and installed 2-foot wide galvanized hardware cloth down to a depth of 18" (underground) around the perimeter of the run, with the last 6" bent outwards do discourage digging under or scooting under the fence. We also have hardware cloth on the first two feet of the bottom of the fence. The hardware cloth above and below is "sewn" together with light-gauge wire to prevent anything from getting through.

Our fence is 6-foot tall, too, but when it gets floppy, we have had predators able to get over the top. We plan to redo the whole thing this year.

Your brooder arrangement sounds ok, so long as:

a) none of the babies can escape and get lost, and
    b) they're active and don't look cold. If they're cold then even when not sleeping they'll huddle together in the warmest spot. If they're running around and playing, they should be fine.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Thanks for the support the chicks are running around like crazy, 6 in deep burried hard wire, with hardwire as the roof of the run. I have 2 feeders and 2 waterers in each half of the run I can only pray this will be enough and my babies should be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by