Flock won't allow hen to eat

Had similar with 4 chickens couple years ago. The lead hen changed between the three often but the odd girl out remained the same and unfed. Old farmer told me to pick up the lead hen and hold her. Make a point of showing everyone who is the real lead. As per further instruction, picked up every hen a few minutes a day. They calmed down.

Feeding the outlying hen privately is not a bad idea either. Did that a few times. Even gave her special treats - fish, beef liver, scraps,........

They seemed to work on fear, not jealousy. For my own sake I talked to them as I held them. Told them what I thought of them and how and why. And what I required of them. Who knows what they got from it. Made me feel better. That hen is still the outlier. At least she grew her comb back and eats.

Are any of the others starting to molt? I've got 2 Polish gals that are the best of friends until the molt starts, then they fight each other and anyone else that happens to be close by! I have a hospital pen that fits inside my run when I need to isolate someone for a bit- make sure they can still see her but not get at her.

got a picture of that hospital pen? curious how to do it.

I don't have it in the run right now, but it's a 30×30 wire pen I got at Tractor Supply. Large enough for a broody and portable in case I need to bring a sick hen inside to take care of her. It even came with attachable food and water cups good since the floor is wire, they help keep the bedding clean and dry. Only issue I've had is other hens hopping on top of it when it's in the run.

ZDB has another good point- I've scooped up Rose, my top hen, and taken her for several come to Jesus walks while the other gals ate in peace! She is much better now but used to be quite the terror in the mornings.

My lowest hen on the pecking order also started being 'super' bullied away from food a few years ago when she had gotten herself into something that stained her feathers blue. I simply removed her from the flock to a quarantine coop for a couple of months until she molted the blue feathers, then treated her as if she were a new hen, putting my quarantine cage close to the others and letting them get reintroduced to her. It worked fine and she re-entered the flock and things were pretty peaceful. Better to not make a complicated deal out of it. She needs time to rest and feed up.

I don't have it in the run right now, but it's a 30×30 wire pen I got at Tractor Supply. Large enough for a broody and portable in case I need to bring a sick hen inside to take care of her. It even came with attachable food and water cups good since the floor is wire, they help keep the bedding clean and dry. Only issue I've had is other hens hopping on top of it when it's in the run.

ZDB has another good point- I've scooped up Rose, my top hen, and taken her for several come to Jesus walks while the other gals ate in peace! She is much better now but used to be quite the terror in the mornings.

Gotta think we looked funny walking around discussing life, the universe and everything with our mindful and oh so attentive delinquents.

Hi! I have a small flock of 7 hens. One hen is in the middle of a hard molt, and for 3 nights in a row her crop was empty and her poops were just water. After observing the flock for a bit I found that all the other hens were chasing her away from all the food sources whenever she tried to eat. They do not bother her otherwise, only when she attempts to eat. She has no signs of illness and has a good appetite. I had her separated for a few days, and each night her crop was very full and her poops were back to normal, but as soon as I tried putting her back with the flock they immediately started chasing her away from the food again. This is not something we have ever seen before unless a hen was visibly ill, so I'm worried that maybe she is sick, but she has no obvious signs of illness.
Is it normal for them to do this to a molting hen? Any help is appreciated!

I'd make sure she's getting food and I'd probably keep her separated with one other hen i.e. two, so that when you put them back it's five two instead of 6 one and she has a friend. As hens seem to bond when separated together and it might make the whole thing less traumatic. If there's no sign of illness they're just being bitchy as they can be. She will be so sore in molt and will need special treatment i.e. more protein to assist her in coming out of the molt faster. I give mine mince to boost there protein levels and get it moving faster. Fingers x'd all aok.

We have one with thin shells as well, and she also refuses oyster shells. I honestly never thought to mix it in anything, and now I feel like, "Duh!" ‍Lol!

"Duh"...That makes me laugh because even after being on this site for several years, I will read something & have that same reaction![/QUOTE]
This is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I have a hen or 2 that are dropping thin shell eggs at night on the drop board. I go out after dark to see if Ican figure out where each one is roosting. but never get it right. How do I figure out which hen has the problem, other then quaranteeing them two at a time for a few weeks. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have 15 hens, can subtract two banties, one little rooster, that leaves 12 to try and catch with this problem.

Eh, mix in the extra calcium in as a treat for the girls, give it to them away from the roos & cure it that way. But fair's fair, ya gotta give the boys a treat, too.

Eh, mix in the extra calcium in as a treat for the girls, give it to them away from the roos & cure it that way. But fair's fair, ya gotta give the boys a treat, too.
I also bake and crush the eggshells from the eggs I use and give the girls probiotics cider vinegar and also yoghurt as the calcium in the yoghurt is great and I love to see them splashing it all over each other and their faces. They absolutely love it and I believe milk curd is also great for them if you have any. One of my breeder friends swears by it

Back
Top Bottom