Floor material for brooder and brooder size.

bwebster

Songster
Mar 3, 2020
Connecticut
First time getting chicks! I have 10 chicks due to arrive tomorrow or Thursday, and I built a brooder that I hope will work until they can go out to the coop. It is roughly 2x4' and 20" tall made from 3/4" plywood. I have RIR and Plymouth Rocks coming.

I currently have pine shavings in there but read its best to use those a little later. Is that accurate? I planned on putting down plastic on the bottom, then shavings over it to protect the bottom wood. If I should wait on the pine shavings, what would be a good alternative until they can be used?

Also I've read different suggestions on dimensions and square footage per chick and different ages. Assuming all 10 survive, will I be able to keep them in here until coop time? I'm in NW Connecticut, USA and it could be cold here almost any day of the year outside July and August!

Only photo I have of the brooder is attached. It will be in my basement with a top made of old metal fencing and some reinforcements to the heat lamp to further prevent it from falling.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0320201524.jpg
    0320201524.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 26
I put newspaper under the shavings, to make it easy to roll up and clean. As they grow, it will need cleaning more and more often, probably every day after the first week or two.
I have a brooder that size. I have used it for up to 6 chicks with no issues. The more chicks you have, the sooner they will outgrow it, so get your outdoor coop ready asap. You could move them out by 4 weeks.....

I have a brooder that size. I have used it for up to 6 chicks with no issues. The more chicks you have, the sooner they will outgrow it, so get your outdoor coop ready asap. You could move them out by 4 weeks.....

Coop is ready to roll. I am actually only keeping 6 birds. A friend with a farm is taking the extras.

Should I use pine shavings from day 1?

Coop is ready to roll. I am actually only keeping 6 birds. A friend with a farm is taking the extras.

Should I use pine shavings from day 1?
I always use shavings from day 1. We have shavings from hubby's shop, mixed wood. They peck at them, maybe eat some, but I've raised 5 batches this way. My daughter uses paper towels for the first 2 or 3 days and adds shavings later.

We are a little north of you. South east mass. We are getting chicks next week we plan brooding in the covered run. The floor will just be the ground. Our first time around we used pine shavings from day one.

Good luck
Not a bad idea maybe for the latter period for me since I'll be a few weeks ahead of you. We also have a covered run. What is your heat source?

Our original order was going to come in the week after Easter but with everything going on in the world we wanted to make sure we could get them and pulled the trigger now.

Not a bad idea maybe for the latter period for me since I'll be a few weeks ahead of you. We also have a covered run. What is your heat source?

Our original order was going to come in the week after Easter but with everything going on in the world we wanted to make sure we could get them and pulled the trigger now.
Will be using a MHP. I will keep them in the house for a day or two. Then watching the weather, will get them out to the run. I am buying from a local feed store. So I have some flexibility with the date.

Back
Top Bottom