Floor of elevated coop - wire vs hard surface

The sweet PDZ looks fantastic but I'm not sure how to work it into our coop design. Yard is small so coop will be in a corner where access to the inside will be limited. All the sweet PDZ pics I've seen have open shed-like coops. I don't think I'll be able to reach the far half of our coop design using a scoop. I'm going to show the link and pics to my husband and see what he comes up with.

You could always put a tray (cat littler tray, boot tray, throw away foil pan, lid from a tote) under the roosting bar and fill that with PDZ. That way it can slide out and should catch the majority of the poop.

Kit coops often use wire floors because it is cheaper and a much lighter kit! Only a portion of poo will fall through the mesh and mesh is not ideal for chicken feet. A solid floor with ample bedding is what you want to dry any runny poo. Any type of slide out board would not work filled with bedding. If you are intent on the slide board idea then fill with PDZ. May still be messy. A cleanout door is best close to your roost bar since most of your poop will be below where they roost. If you have room, a solid poop board or one that can be sifted is helpful and gives you extra room (you can utilize the space below the board). A bit tricky to have many options with small coops. Hope this helps!

I agree with the hinged door. We have had 3-5 chickens in our extra coop (about 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and I only change out the litter when it really needs it--maybe every 6 weeks to 2 months. You put in a bag of shavings and every day make sure they are scratching it around keeping the droppings dry. Throw a bit of scratch on top and let them, scratch if needed.

My coop is 4 x 6. Not sure how many hens I will end up with. I have ten chicks including two bantams. Here is what I have so far.

I like the tray idea. I will defintely have to give it a try. The sweet PDZ seems the way to go under the roost. Any other ideas on what could be used for a tray? The roost area will be in about a 3.5x3 area. Hate to buy a tote just for the lid but that may be the only option.

Hubby is INSISTING pull-outs with shavings will work great. Home projects are always a painful process at our house. We speak two completely different languages when it comes to visualizing a finished project.

We are going to do a hard floor with sand so you can rakers out, that way they can roll around in it because they love to dig holes to roll in in the soft sand and dirt!

We are going to do a hard floor with sand so you can rakers out, that way they can roll around in it because they love to dig holes to roll in in the soft sand and dirt!
I will probably use sand in the outside run. Inside we're planning on trying the pine shavings on the floor with a poop board/PDZ under the roost. Not sure how the sand will hold up when it rains. May end up staying too wet in the winter. It is one giant chicken experiment!

I would go with the pullout drawer for this particular run...I have linoleum in my coop but it is large enough for me to go in and clean. For a small coop like this, I believe that a pull out tray would work best because you probably won't be able to get into the coop.

My coop is 4 x 6. Not sure how many hens I will end up with. I have ten chicks including two bantams. Here is what I have so far.
Looks almost ready for guests!
D.gif
Everyday my coop design is changing, depending on my husband's whims. I think it will end up being a little under 4x8. It was going to be about 4x5 in the beginning but then he figured if we had to buy the extra full sheet of plywood anyway we might as well put it to good use! It will leave me a little growing room if I go chicken crazy!
yippiechickie.gif

thumbsup.gif
lau.gif
Go chicken Crazy, Hummm Well, I did that and I went further and further, Now I have a 10x 32 building and many other smaller ones.
smile.png
Good luck with chicken crazy. Anything you can put under your roost that is easy to clean out daily or every other day will keep down the odor . Otherwise you will have odor. Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom