Floor or No Floor?

Brannon77

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
Quick question. I am looking to build my wife a coop for her chickens, and I see that most of the designs I have seen have a floor. Is there a general rule as to whether or not to have a floor or just the ground?

I do not have a floor. Just dirt which at one time was grass. I think it really depends on your environment. Do you have a problem with critters? Rats, mice, raccoons and the such? Will the coop be in a very wet area where keeping the floor dry would be an issue? It's stuff like that which may dictate things like what kind of floor to put in. We do have raccoons and rats, but that was solved by using 1/4 hardware cloth over the whole coop and running it out along the ground as a "skirt". I use the deep litter method and find it very easy to manage. That has a lot to do with your final decision too. How spry are you, how much maintenance do you want to put into keeping a coop clean?

If you'd like to do true deep litter (composting) then a dirt floor is the way to go.

I have a wood floor, we have a lot of ground water so the coop has to be elevated off the ground. Entire unit rests on concrete blocks and PT skids.
We have a good well drained area for the coop. I would like to do the composting as well. I have alot to learn. My wife has done most of the reading and studying. I just want to make sure that I build something that is aesthetically pleasing yet practical for us.

I do not have a floor. Just dirt which at one time was grass. I think it really depends on your environment. Do you have a problem with critters? Rats, mice, raccoons and the such? Will the coop be in a very wet area where keeping the floor dry would be an issue? It's stuff like that which may dictate things like what kind of floor to put in. We do have raccoons and rats, but that was solved by using 1/4 hardware cloth over the whole coop and running it out along the ground as a "skirt". I use the deep litter method and find it very easy to manage. That has a lot to do with your final decision too. How spry are you, how much maintenance do you want to put into keeping a coop clean?

I’m in the same boat...

I’m in the same boat! I’m building a 8x12 coop and am struggling with the floor! I’m debating btwn gravel/dirt or floor on skids! I’m in WI so we definitely have wet times! The coop will be in the high side of lower ground in a stand of maple trees. The current location for our old coop is littered with rats and they have destroyed it. I’m trying to find the best way to prevent rats from getting into the new one coop! I don’t want to spend the extra money on a wood floor to have the rats chew thru it right away! Suggestions?

I’m trying to find the best way to prevent rats from getting into the new one coop! I don’t want to spend the extra money on a wood floor to have the rats chew thru it right away! Suggestions?

The best protection would probably be a concrete pad. Past that, elevated coop maybe with hardware cloth covering the underside, and/or hardware cloth surrounding the base and aproned out.

I have a dirt floor. I'm insane, and cut the sod, and about six inches of dirt out of area before framing. After the frame went up, I put hardware cloth down on the ground, and secured it to the base. I then put the sod back in on top. I admit, it was truly horrible, but I'm super happy with how it turned out. Those rotten rats can't get in!

X2 what @rosemarythyme and @honanbm said. Our rat problem has been very minor to nil, so having our hardware cloth over the whole coop and spread out on the ground out to 18" has been fine. But I think I've read here on the forums that maybe a 24" skirt that is buried deeper would be better?

Back
Top Bottom