Flooring for a duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckiesrule, May 29, 2012.

1. duckiesrule

duckiesrule In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Western Massachusetts
    I have four runner ducklings and I am in the midst of building them a house. It is 7.5' long and 3.5' wide and high. I've been going back and forth about the best way to create a floor for them. Does anybody have suggestions with regard to wire vs. plastic vs. wood vs. other floorings?

My landlords (i.e. my parents) have not taken too well to the "deep bedding" concept that I've read so much about. Is there something that can be added to the mixture of feces and bedding that would reduce the likelihood of eye infections?

Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use about a foot and a half of pine shavings in the duck house. I stir it daily. I also do a sniff test, and add fresh. Any hint of ammonia, and the bedding is composted and I start with fresh. That happened once. I will be changing out the bedding soon, just because it is over a year old. I add a sprinkle of dry peat moss to reduce risk of ammonia. No eye infections in over two years. Runners.

Under the shavings is linoleum flooring that goes up the sides and is attached with 1"x3" wooden strips to keep yuck from going under the linoleum.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. duckiesrule

May 20, 2012
    Western Massachusetts
    Speaking of runners: Have you been successful in using nest boxes? Or do you have a system that works for finding eggs in the same place each day?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Pretty much, make sure there is a nice amount of clean straw. The ducks make their own nests, usually in corners, and 80% of the time lay their eggs in these nests.

Rarely they hide one so that I cannot find it that day. Sometimes one slips out in the day pen.

5. duckiesrule

May 20, 2012
    Western Massachusetts
    How did you choose a bedding material?

For their brooder they have pine shavings and I have easy access to hay. What works best for the deep bedding system? Is there a reason straw is better?

6. Me, I use bread crates for nest boxes, in the corners and pine shavings. Floor is covered in linoleum.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My floor is wood, i have rubber stall mats place over top and then use shavings.. i clean the droppings out everyday and stir the bedding itself.. i have added some DE too.

8. fowl farm

fowl farm Songster

May 9, 2012
    You haven't changed it for a year? Do yours not use the bathroom in the their house?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  9. Missy60

Missy60 Chirping

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia

You turn the bread crates on there side to use for jest boxes? What kind of ducks do you have? I'm just wondering if a pekin would fit in one.

10. duckiesrule

May 20, 2012
    Western Massachusetts
    Amiga, (and anyone else with Runners),

Do you find yourself collecting eggs in the winter months? I have read that runners can lay around 300 eggs a year, which sounds like everything but 2 months of winter?

Also, I second Fowl Farm's question, do your ducks "do their business" in their house? Is there a way to get them not to? Does putting the food and water outside of the house help at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: