Flooring for a duck house

duckiesrule

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Western Massachusetts
I have four runner ducklings and I am in the midst of building them a house. It is 7.5' long and 3.5' wide and high. I've been going back and forth about the best way to create a floor for them. Does anybody have suggestions with regard to wire vs. plastic vs. wood vs. other floorings?

My landlords (i.e. my parents) have not taken too well to the "deep bedding" concept that I've read so much about. Is there something that can be added to the mixture of feces and bedding that would reduce the likelihood of eye infections?

Thanks!

I use about a foot and a half of pine shavings in the duck house. I stir it daily. I also do a sniff test, and add fresh. Any hint of ammonia, and the bedding is composted and I start with fresh. That happened once. I will be changing out the bedding soon, just because it is over a year old. I add a sprinkle of dry peat moss to reduce risk of ammonia. No eye infections in over two years. Runners.

Under the shavings is linoleum flooring that goes up the sides and is attached with 1"x3" wooden strips to keep yuck from going under the linoleum.

Last edited:
Pretty much, make sure there is a nice amount of clean straw. The ducks make their own nests, usually in corners, and 80% of the time lay their eggs in these nests.

Rarely they hide one so that I cannot find it that day. Sometimes one slips out in the day pen.

How did you choose a bedding material?

For their brooder they have pine shavings and I have easy access to hay. What works best for the deep bedding system? Is there a reason straw is better?

My floor is wood, i have rubber stall mats place over top and then use shavings.. i clean the droppings out everyday and stir the bedding itself.. i have added some DE too.

I use about a foot and a half of pine shavings in the duck house. I stir it daily. I also do a sniff test, and add fresh. Any hint of ammonia, and the bedding is composted and I start with fresh. That happened once. I will be changing out the bedding soon, just because it is over a year old. I add a sprinkle of dry peat moss to reduce risk of ammonia. No eye infections in over two years. Runners.

Under the shavings is linoleum flooring that goes up the sides and is attached with 1"x3" wooden strips to keep yuck from going under the linoleum.
You haven't changed it for a year? Do yours not use the bathroom in the their house?

Last edited:
Amiga, (and anyone else with Runners),

Do you find yourself collecting eggs in the winter months? I have read that runners can lay around 300 eggs a year, which sounds like everything but 2 months of winter?

Also, I second Fowl Farm's question, do your ducks "do their business" in their house? Is there a way to get them not to? Does putting the food and water outside of the house help at all?

Back
Top Bottom