Flooring for new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cbascom, Feb 2, 2014.

1. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    My first ever set of chicks will be here tomorrow. [​IMG]
    I have read to avoid newspaper as flooring because it is slippery, but the instructions from the hatchery (murray Mcmurray) says to place newspaper on top of the shavings for the first day with the chick food sprinkled on top.
    Which is my best bet? The chicks will be an assortment of heavy breeds, if that matters.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I like to put the pine shavings down and then put paper towels on top.

This is just my personal preference and it works VERY well!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Puppy pads work too, but their little toenails can catch in them when they try to scratch.
    I used the pads for 3 days then switched to quickcrete fine white sand and some PDZ mixed in, worked great, easy to sift the poops out every day.

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I always just put the babies on to the pine shaving and have never had any problems. I also put marbles in tot he water dish for the first dish for the first two days or so. I have lost babies to not having marbles int he water dish.

5. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    I think buying burlap coffe bags and cutting one side and bottom then laying that on the shavings works very good {well its what my gramma did} and its so easy to take out and shake off the droppings..and they can walk on it very good..jeff

6. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'm putting old saddle blankets down over the linoleum, no pine or other bedding (maybe straw on one side). Our chickens free range at all times so they are used to pooping on the ground where they feel like so our chicks don't need to get used to pine/sand/straw.

7. alynyc

alynyc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Which pine shavings do you use? I have found too many different types and I don't know which is best for baby chicks.

Also, any preference on marbles? Should they just be glass to avoid any toxins?

Thanks!!!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just buy the only pine shavings the feed store offers. They come in big compressed bags.

9. warf73

warf73 New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    We got our first chicks last Friday and we are using newspapers as bedding. But the brooder is a 55gal aquarium we used for raisingangle fish. The newspaper bedding is working great so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by