Flooring

Wendyfox9

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I have a chicken annex I am building for food, water and somewhere to get in out of the rain, sun, etc. Any recommendations on flooring? I used old 2x8's for the floor, but would like something more chicken foot friendly.

Are you talking about something to put on top of the 2x8s? If that’s the case, we use linoleum because it’s easy on their feet and it is so easy to clean. We still have the same piece we put in 4 1/2 years ago and it still looks great.

I have a chicken annex I am building for food, water and somewhere to get in out of the rain, sun, etc. Any recommendations on flooring? I used old 2x8's for the floor, but would like something more chicken foot friendly.
What exactly do you mean by 'annex'?
Are you enlarging your coop?

Pics of your coop and/or the 'annex' would help immensely here.

Also....Welcome to BYC! @Wendyfox9
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591043866636.png

Are you talking about something to put on top of the 2x8s? If that’s the case, we use linoleum because it’s easy on their feet and it is so easy to clean. We still have the same piece we put in 4 1/2 years ago and it still looks great.
Did you really use linoleum or did you use vinyl? I like linoleum because it is a natural product but try to stay away from vinyl due to local and global toxicity concerns.

Did you really use linoleum or did you use vinyl? I like linoleum because it is a natural product but try to stay away from vinyl due to local and global toxicity concerns.
We just used linoleum. We had a scrap piece from when we had our floors done but it was pretty large. We put it down 4 1/2 years ago if you look at it today it looks as good as new. I sweep it out weekly and it cleans up very nicely. I do cover it lightly with pine shavings. Our girls have never had any trouble with it.

I use 5/8 plywood and picked up a bundle of the snap together "hardwood" flooring at lowes. Waterproof and takes a beating but is holding up great. Itr was on one of those sale tables. $20. Well worth it and it can handle all the girls have to offer.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom