Floorless Coop????

Speed5105

Hatching
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Upstate, New York
Hello all, I have been following BYC for a while now but this is my first post. I did some searching but I do not see my exact situation. I have an old shed that is 12ft x 8ft with 8ft Tall walls. It does not have a floor, it is just open dirt. Any thoughts on what I should do. Can I just leave it open as I am able to secure the coop otherwise, plus the entire run and coop will be secured with fencing. I live in the Northeast so we get snow (about 40-60" a year) The coop is on higher ground so flooding is not a concern. What would ya'll suggest.

Sorry if this has been covered before I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thank you for your time

Jay

My coop of the same size also has a dirt floor. Coops have been done like that for thousands of years.

Whether you can leave it bare dirt or if you need to add something else just depends on your specific circumstances. Your main goal is for the coop to remain dry. A wet coop is a dangerous coop as far as diseases. Some of us use some type of bedding material to absorb the moisture and help keep the poop from building up. If you rake the bedding or drop some corn or such so the chickens rake it for you searching for the corn, it really helps keep it dry. Some of us have droppings boards under the roosts to help catch the poop to get it out of the coop. It really helps a compost pile and it definitely reduces poop build-up.

Your number of chickens and how you manage them is going to be unique for your situation. You may or may not need bedding or a droppings board or some other type of poop management. As with many thiings to do with chickens, there is not a right or wrong answer that fits all of us. It is just what works for us.

Sounds like a perferct setup for a Deep Litter System...and the decomposition of the litter will have the added benfit of generating extra heat in the coop for your chickens.
Exactly what I was thinking.
My coop of the same size also has a dirt floor. Coops have been done like that for thousands of years.
Whether you can leave it bare dirt or if you need to add something else just depends on your specific circumstances. Your main goal is for the coop to remain dry. A wet coop is a dangerous coop as far as diseases. Some of us use some type of bedding material to absorb the moisture and help keep the poop from building up. If you rake the bedding or drop some corn or such so the chickens rake it for you searching for the corn, it really helps keep it dry. Some of us have droppings boards under the roosts to help catch the poop to get it out of the coop. It really helps a compost pile and it definitely reduces poop build-up.
Your number of chickens and how you manage them is going to be unique for your situation. You may or may not need bedding or a droppings board or some other type of poop management. As with many thiings to do with chickens, there is not a right or wrong answer that fits all of us. It is just what works for us.
Thank you for the input. I was thinking of using the DL method on the dry ground. I have a 2000 sq ft garden so compost is a must for me. I was just looking for some reassurance that I was heading the right direction. This is my first flock.

Back
Top Bottom