Floppy 4day old

Tomandlu

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2021
This chick was hatched Tuesday, driven to the store Wednesday, I picked her up Thursday. She was the most active of the bunch (6 total), always run over when I put my hand in the brooder to change water/food/clean messes. Yesterday afternoon I noticed she was not as active, had pasty butt. I cleaned that per instructions. This morning she can't stand and hasn't moved. I've been eyedroppering her water w/electrolytes every hour or so. Is there anything else I can or should do? Her vent is clear, no recurrence there. I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks in advance,

Luanne

Feed is Purina start & grow crumbles
water is water + Flock Pro Chick Boost Probiotics (OK, the guy at Wilco said I should get it).
Brooder set up is 2 x 4' lined box, kiln dried pine pellets. I have a heating pad over 1/2" hardware cloth and a reflective bit of fleece on top that is currently measure 92.5F. I also have a 250W radiant ceramic lamp (what you see in the 10" reflector. The room temp is 72F.

The sick chick is in the upper right of the coop next to the food. I tried to take a picture of her vent, but she's really fluffy. It was washed and blown dry yesterday afternoon twice. It doesn't look red or swollen. There was a big pile of turd next to where she's been crouching. She hasn't moved a centimeter from where she's been placed since last night.

The other chicks seem perfectly happy running around. Sometimes they'll sleep under the lamp, sometimes just off to the left, sometimes under the 'heating pad mama'. I love that name - I built it thinking it would work, then found that yes, it had been discovered before. :) I had a spare J type thermocouple that I've placed in several spots underneath it. I added a dimmer switch and adjust the power to get the temp where I want it.

Attachments

• fluffy butt.jpg
    fluffy butt.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210306_124259857.jpg
    IMG_20210306_124259857.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 5
They don’t need anything in their water, as the food has probiotics in it. I would try giving this chick a little sugar water / molasses water just for an energy boost. Keep checking the vent and make sure there’s no more blockage.

They don’t need anything in their water, as the food has probiotics in it. I would try giving this chick a little sugar water / molasses water just for an energy boost. Keep checking the vent and make sure there’s no more blockage.
Thank you! What ratio sugar or molasses would you use?

There was no change, and still little interest in water or crumbles, mostly - sometimes she'll surprise me and drink two drops, or peck at the fine crumble in my hand for a minute and then go to sleep.

When she was awake she'd chirp continuously. Not the loud 'I'm cold' just chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp. On the advice of a neighbor who's raised chickens for 60+ years I put her down. She was so used to being snuggled in my hands I doubt she had any fear. I hope that is true. Guess I'm leaning the chicken owner's lessons up front.

There was no change, and still little interest in water or crumbles, mostly - sometimes she'll surprise me and drink two drops, or peck at the fine crumble in my hand for a minute and then go to sleep.

When she was awake she'd chirp continuously. Not the loud 'I'm cold' just chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp. On the advice of a neighbor who's raised chickens for 60+ years I put her down. She was so used to being snuggled in my hands I doubt she had any fear. I hope that is true. Guess I'm leaning the chicken owner's lessons up front.
Im so sorry. It hurts more than it should.

Back
Top Bottom