Floppy chick with inflamed umbilical.

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
This chick (either a pure Banty Cochin or BC/Chocolate Orp mix) hatched yesterday afternoon, but has progressively gotten floppier. After moving, the chick flops to the ground and gasps and makes a clicking noise. The Chick's umbilical is inflamed and looks... cracked. I'll have to get pictures. I put it in the brooder under the heater plate with the other chick that hatched out last night so I can access the sick chick without opening the incubator while other chicks are hatching. I put some antibotic ointment on the umbilical, gave it some water and put it under the plate. Is there anything else I can do, or is it a lost cause at this point?

This chick (either a pure Banty Cochin or BC/Chocolate Orp mix) hatched yesterday afternoon, but has progressively gotten floppier. After moving, the chick flops to the ground and gasps and makes a clicking noise. The Chick's umbilical is inflamed and looks... cracked. I'll have to get pictures. I put it in the brooder under the heater plate with the other chick that hatched out last night so I can access the sick chick without opening the incubator while other chicks are hatching. I put some antibotic ointment on the umbilical, gave it some water and put it under the plate. Is there anything else I can do, or is it a lost cause at this point?
liquid baby vitamins might help. I also use vetrycin wound spray.

The bad thing about navels is infection or organ damage from the cord pulling. It is sometimes a sign the the chick did not completely develop.

I hope you do not have to euthanize!

I have BluKote or gentian violet.
90E22FE1-21A1-4C7B-A5D1-C20FC6F90C64.jpeg
50B36F1F-F038-47BE-A829-0D27DF646933.jpeg

Unless this chick can stand and open its eyes and swallow when you dip its beak in water, there is not going to be much you can do for it. Keep it in the incubator and if it rallies, then try the Nutri-drench.

But please prepare yourself for possibly losing this chick over the next few hours. The symptoms you describe indicate it may have serious genetic abnormalities it may not be able to overcome.

Back
Top Bottom