Floppy combs....need some advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cantonmentchickenmama, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Cantonmentchickenmama

Cantonmentchickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Cantonment, florida
    Hi all....My flock has grown since I was last on. I now have 27 hens and three roosters. I have a leghorn hen that I adopted and she came to me with a terrible floppy comb. She eats and drinks with no problem, but it seems to be that the comb floppin around would be a pain. Can someone tell me what causes the combs to become floppy, is there anything I can do for her, and will her comb restore to being upright?

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
    9 Buff Orphingtons, 1 Barred Rock, 2 frizzles, 2 silkies, 1 leghorn, 3 beligum antwerp quail mix, 2 copper marans, 2 bantams hens, 1 seabright, 3 RIR's, 1 polish hen, and 1 cochin.
    2 boxers, 2 cats, and 1 grumpy old man.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Nope, that wouldn't be a pain for her [​IMG] Some leghorns have combs that flop around. I have two brown leghorns right now and one stands upright, but the other is so large it flops over. It's cute [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The female leghorns often have floppy combs. It's no more bothersome that a Polish's crest or silkie's crest covering their eyes. As long as the comb is nice and red, she's fine. Plus, the floppiness will bring the comb closer to her body which should help prevent frostbite.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I had a barred rock with a floppy comb. Its not thatit just fell over one day, it grew in that way. you could see it happening as it grew out when she was a chick. some birds just have floppy combs. nothing wrong with it. I think its adorable and wish i had more floppys [​IMG]

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have a Brown LH and she has a big floppy comb. I love it. Gives her character. Some just flop.

6. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I have a white leghorn with a floppy comb. I think it adds character! Kinda reminds me of "Jessica" from Who Framed Roger Rabbit [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Floppy combs are the norm for leghorn hens and in my opinion add greatly to their attractiveness. I think that leghorn hens are the most beautiful of all chickens.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    That is pretty normal for a Leghorn, I use to own some. [​IMG]

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    completely normal for a leghorn! All of mine are so floppy you just see a beak poking out. [​IMG]

10. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    half of my leghorns have huge floppy combs and i love them. they remind me of a woman with long beautiful hair [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by