Floppy combs....need some advice

Cantonmentchickenmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Cantonment, florida
Hi all....My flock has grown since I was last on. I now have 27 hens and three roosters. I have a leghorn hen that I adopted and she came to me with a terrible floppy comb. She eats and drinks with no problem, but it seems to be that the comb floppin around would be a pain. Can someone tell me what causes the combs to become floppy, is there anything I can do for her, and will her comb restore to being upright?

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
9 Buff Orphingtons, 1 Barred Rock, 2 frizzles, 2 silkies, 1 leghorn, 3 beligum antwerp quail mix, 2 copper marans, 2 bantams hens, 1 seabright, 3 RIR's, 1 polish hen, and 1 cochin.
2 boxers, 2 cats, and 1 grumpy old man.
wink.png

The female leghorns often have floppy combs. It's no more bothersome that a Polish's crest or silkie's crest covering their eyes. As long as the comb is nice and red, she's fine. Plus, the floppiness will bring the comb closer to her body which should help prevent frostbite.

I had a barred rock with a floppy comb. Its not thatit just fell over one day, it grew in that way. you could see it happening as it grew out when she was a chick. some birds just have floppy combs. nothing wrong with it. I think its adorable and wish i had more floppys
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom