FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Greetings from Zephyrhills!
welcome-byc.gif

I have a question for Central FL chicken keepers. I (or should I say my contracted coop builder) have just completed building my 'taj mahal' of chicken coops and after the painting is done and the wire is up, I need to seriously consider what kind of feeder will be best for my little chickadees. I see all kinds of the PVC tube style feeders and thought this might be a great idea but then see posts about the moisture that builds up, then mold, etc. In the temporary coop, I have the normal round feeder that I just pour from the top and it comes out the little sections in the tray and it sits on blocks to keep it off the floor. Last evening though, it rained into the side of the coop and totally drenched the feed in it. I currently have 8 pullets and will be adding another 6 pullets and 4 guineas to the coop(s). (There will be another coop at the other end which we will call the West Wing LOL). My 9 yo granddaughter helps me with the chicken chores on occasion and so ease and convenience is a priority for her as well. What are others using for feeders in the FL humidity and constant tropical paradise?

I have a question for Central FL chicken keepers. I (or should I say my contracted coop builder) have just completed building my 'taj mahal' of chicken coops and after the painting is done and the wire is up, I need to seriously consider what kind of feeder will be best for my little chickadees. I see all kinds of the PVC tube style feeders and thought this might be a great idea but then see posts about the moisture that builds up, then mold, etc. In the temporary coop, I have the normal round feeder that I just pour from the top and it comes out the little sections in the tray and it sits on blocks to keep it off the floor. Last evening though, it rained into the side of the coop and totally drenched the feed in it. I currently have 8 pullets and will be adding another 6 pullets and 4 guineas to the coop(s). (There will be another coop at the other end which we will call the West Wing LOL). My 9 yo granddaughter helps me with the chicken chores on occasion and so ease and convenience is a priority for her as well. What are others using for feeders in the FL humidity and constant tropical paradise?

I use galvanized hanging feeders. I have them in the coops. The feed stays dry. I have them hanging about 3 feet away from the wall.
I live a little bit north of you in Citrus County. I have them on the floor in my chick coop.

There is a fairly large over hang so the rain rarely comes in unless it is driving sideways.

I can shut the window vents by dropping the covers.

Back
Top Bottom