FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I have a question for Central FL chicken keepers. I (or should I say my contracted coop builder) have just completed building my 'taj mahal' of chicken coops and after the painting is done and the wire is up, I need to seriously consider what kind of feeder will be best for my little chickadees. I see all kinds of the PVC tube style feeders and thought this might be a great idea but then see posts about the moisture that builds up, then mold, etc. In the temporary coop, I have the normal round feeder that I just pour from the top and it comes out the little sections in the tray and it sits on blocks to keep it off the floor. Last evening though, it rained into the side of the coop and totally drenched the feed in it. I currently have 8 pullets and will be adding another 6 pullets and 4 guineas to the coop(s). (There will be another coop at the other end which we will call the West Wing LOL). My 9 yo granddaughter helps me with the chicken chores on occasion and so ease and convenience is a priority for her as well. What are others using for feeders in the FL humidity and constant tropical paradise?

This year is the first time I've had moldy feed. Last year I had moved all the feed cans out of the shed (over 100 degrees in the summer) to a covered shaded carport . I put out what they'll finish in a day because even under protected shelter, the feed gets wet in downpours. I use chamber pots half full, and have buckets on pulleys that I drop over the bowls at night (rodent proof).

Is anyone having problems with an increase in illness in their flocks possibly brought on my the heat and humidity we've had?

Quote:
I haven't noticed any problems. All of my pens have shade tables for the birds to get under. On the real hot days I spray water under the tables to dampen the ground. Also I have sprinklers that I turn on during extreme heat. I have planted trees in all of the pens for shade.

This year is the first time I've had moldy feed. Last year I had moved all the feed cans out of the shed (over 100 degrees in the summer) to a covered shaded carport . I put out what they'll finish in a day because even under protected shelter, the feed gets wet in downpours. I use chamber pots half full, and have buckets on pulleys that I drop over the bowls at night (rodent proof).

Is anyone having problems with an increase in illness in their flocks possibly brought on my the heat and humidity we've had?
I haven't had any illness in my flock this year. Last summer was terrible with the pox.

I have a question for Central FL chicken keepers. I (or should I say my contracted coop builder) have just completed building my 'taj mahal' of chicken coops and after the painting is done and the wire is up, I need to seriously consider what kind of feeder will be best for my little chickadees. I see all kinds of the PVC tube style feeders and thought this might be a great idea but then see posts about the moisture that builds up, then mold, etc. In the temporary coop, I have the normal round feeder that I just pour from the top and it comes out the little sections in the tray and it sits on blocks to keep it off the floor. Last evening though, it rained into the side of the coop and totally drenched the feed in it. I currently have 8 pullets and will be adding another 6 pullets and 4 guineas to the coop(s). (There will be another coop at the other end which we will call the West Wing LOL). My 9 yo granddaughter helps me with the chicken chores on occasion and so ease and convenience is a priority for her as well. What are others using for feeders in the FL humidity and constant tropical paradise?
I just read about a no waste 5 gallon feeder that uses a bucket and a 90 degree pvc elbow. With the driving sideways rains I get around here, it looks like it may solve my wet food problems

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

The only way I've been able to keep the food fresh is to feed them every day only enough for the day. As high as the humidity has been, you can almost sit and watch the mold grow! I mix water with the crumbles to make a mash and dump it into two goat troughs every morning. They don't scratch the wet food out onto the ground and so there's less waste. I'm using less food than I used to because they are eating it all, plus we have seen some health issues disappear. I was told that wetting down the food unlocks the nutrients and helps them digest it better.

Anyway, at the end of the day the troughs are empty, so no moldy food any more.

I don't feed my birds every day. Among all of my birds I go through about 50# of feed daily. I buy my feed every two weeks and fill their feeders twice a week. Their feed is special ordered so it is always fresh. I feed them Show Gold a 20% feed because I show them and I want them at their peak for showing.

Just a reminder...
Central Florida Poultry Breeders Association Double Show, Inverness, FL.
Saturday October 25th, 2014
9:00 AM TO 4:00 PM
Citrus County Fairgrounds
3600 South Florida Ave.
Inverness, Florida
(U.S. Highway 41 South - 1.5 miles south of the intersection of U.S. highways 44 & 41)

Anyone going to the fall show and have some heritage barred rocks. I can pick up at the show.
I too was wondering if anyone is going to the show, but am looking for true ameraucana (lavender, or blue wheaten)bantam and LF and sultan bantam and LF.

Back
Top Bottom