FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quick question for all of you! I don't know how many of you guys are on Facebook, but recently on a Florida livestock/farming group someone brought up that they spoke to FWC and apparently anyone who raises any poultry or rabbits, regardless of whether they are domestic, heritage, game, etc. breeds have to have a game farm permit if they consume, sell, or propagate them. I hadn't heard about this until now, and was just wondering if any of you guys had any more information about it.

I guess my confusion is that domestic breeds of poultry and rabbits are not wildlife they're farm animals, so they wouldn't fall under FWC's scope of control but rather the Florida Department of Ag. I can understand FWC controlling wild species of rabbit and birds, but farm animals?
It is my understanding that someone misunderstood the whole thing from the beginning and that it does not pertain to back yard chickens, rabbits, etc. It pertains to game birds, game water fowl (as in wild ducks,not domesticated), etc.

Just another scare that got some people riled up.

Hi I'm in Valrico fl !!!!!
Welcome!
thumbsup.gif

Quick question for all of you! I don't know how many of you guys are on Facebook, but recently on a Florida livestock/farming group someone brought up that they spoke to FWC and apparently anyone who raises any poultry or rabbits, regardless of whether they are domestic, heritage, game, etc. breeds have to have a game farm permit if they consume, sell, or propagate them. I hadn't heard about this until now, and was just wondering if any of you guys had any more information about it.

I guess my confusion is that domestic breeds of poultry and rabbits are not wildlife they're farm animals, so they wouldn't fall under FWC's scope of control but rather the Florida Department of Ag. I can understand FWC controlling wild species of rabbit and birds, but farm animals?

If you private message me I can give you some information about what you can do as a small poultry farmer. Just received more from my friend at the State. No Florida Wildlife permits are needed and they do not have a classification for poultry. No worries. But there are some things you can take advantage of.

It is my understanding that someone misunderstood the whole thing from the beginning and that it does not pertain to back yard chickens, rabbits, etc. It pertains to game birds, game water fowl (as in wild ducks,not domesticated), etc.

Just another scare that got some people riled up.
That's good to know Bean!
thumbsup.gif

I figured it as much, but with the whole controversy over domestic vs wild muscovies I'd rather be in the clear as our ducklings should be here by this weekend. Not to mention the 40-some odd 8 week old chicks we have in the garage.

@Flybybirds, I will send a PM your way.

Quote:

As far as I know all turkeys are "meat" type. You can always try and find lines that are selected for heavier laying, but this hasn't been done industrially because they don't lay much larger eggs than chickens and are less economical due to their size (bigger bird = more feed = more cost).

We are getting a handful of Bourbon Red and Royal Palm poults in a couple weeks. I can't wait!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Question for my florida "peeps"..... Is their laying turkeys and meat turkeys or are all turkey's dual purpose per say? Anyone in florida raising turkey's?

Certain turkey breeds last longer than other and have different purposes. Im raising two....a broad breasted bronze and a broad breasted white. They are strictly meat turkeys. They frow super big and super fast. So quickly that their legs can break near a year old. Most dontlive much more than that due to health issues. So ours who are super sweet birds are for thanksgiving. Other types live for up to 15 years or something like that and be healthy. So look into the exact breed you want to get

As far as I know all turkeys are "meat" type. You can always try and find lines that are selected for heavier laying, but this hasn't been done industrially because they don't lay much larger eggs than chickens and are less economical due to their size (bigger bird = more feed = more cost). 

We are getting a handful of Bourbon Red and Royal Palm poults in a couple weeks. I can't wait! :celebrate  

Interesting. I was given some turkey eggs today they are much bigger than any chicken egg ive seen I think anyway. He says they taste better than chicken eggs anyone have input on this?

I'm back with another question sorry folks this site is addicting. Do any if you have dirt floor coops? I have built a 4x6 coop with what should be an 8x probably 16-18 feet and I have extra supplies so am thinking I should build a second coop as a lean to off my existing coop but would rather leave it dirt floor. Any advice?

I'm back with another question sorry folks this site is addicting. Do any if you have dirt floor coops? I have built a 4x6 coop with what should be an 8x probably 16-18 feet and I have extra supplies so am thinking I should build a second coop as a lean to off my existing coop but would rather leave it dirt floor. Any advice?

What works best for you and the space? Do you have any pictures? I have coops with wire as the floor and all of their poop falls through the wire. I have coops that have plywood and wire under the roosts and a couple with dirt floors. Each time we built a new coop we made some changes. Each of my coops also have pens. The 2 longer coops were divided and made into 2 duplexes. We ran a fence down the middle of the pen to make 2 pens (one for each side of the coop) with a gate between so we can use them either as 2 smaller 8' x 8' coops or one 8' x 16' coop. Right now I'm using them as breeder coops and pens so I have the gate between the pens closed and the one in the coop. Here are some pictures to give you an idea. Good luck and have fun...
smile.png

I put the tarps up. My husband and a friend built these with some left over materials.

Building another double coop.

This is a roll around pen and coop. The wheels are store on top.

The coops before I put the tarps up. I had an owl get in and kill some of the birds so since this picture was taken I put tarps over the open side of these coops and netting covering all of the pens.

We have added more coops since this picture was taken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom