FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Few more pics

I am new to all of this and have a lot to learn! My wife and I live in Sarasota, we recently purchased a 5 acre lot that we will build on in the years to come. My plan was to start raising chickens on the property and plant gardens instead of letting it sit vacant. Now since I do not live there yet, my concerns are that I will not be there to keep an eye on the chickens. I was thinking about building the chicken tractors or possibly fence in an area for them. I would be able to go there a couple times a day to let them out, clean coops, feed and water. The area around it is other houses with livestock and chickens so I feel like it's relatively safe for them. I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could set this up so they can stay safe and not be caged up all day. Also is it necessary to diversify the type of chickens I get or just have one kind. Looking for laying hens.

I am new to all of this and have a lot to learn! My wife and I live in Sarasota, we recently purchased a 5 acre lot that we will build on in the years to come. My plan was to start raising chickens on the property and plant gardens instead of letting it sit vacant. Now since I do not live there yet, my concerns are that I will not be there to keep an eye on the chickens. I was thinking about building the chicken tractors or possibly fence in an area for them. I would be able to go there a couple times a day to let them out, clean coops, feed and water. The area around it is other houses with livestock and chickens so I feel like it's relatively safe for them. I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could set this up so they can stay safe and not be caged up all day. Also is it necessary to diversify the type of chickens I get or just have one kind. Looking for laying hens.
welcome-byc.gif
Many people have been in similar situations. I started off with one coop and run. I wanted my coop and pen predator proof, and there are a lot of predators. Originally my plan was for maybe 6 birds. That was quite a long time ago. I did put chicken wire over my run at the time. You can have as many breeds as you want. Do whatever works best for you. My suggestion would be to find animal/farm swaps in your area and go see the birds. Also fairs and poultry shows. The fairs and shows are pretty much over until fall, Whatever you decide good luck and have fun...

These are our coops now. We have netting over the top of all of the pens.

Our first coop and run.

Our replacement chicks just shipped today. Crossing my fingers that when we call USPS tomorrow they can finally tell me which location in Jacksonville they will be at.
fl.gif
They arrived at USPS at 4:55am yesterday, so I'm guessing they are already closing in on 48 hours old this evening.

No wonder we had horrible survival rates last time, they were already 80+ hours old by the time they got here on Tuesday morning as they shipped them at a similar time on Saturday the previous time as well.
sad.png
No more shipped hatchery chicks, I think. Now that we have a good local hatchery that raises better quality birds, any other breeds he doesn't have will just have to be hatched from eggs!

Got the chicks this morning! They are all alive and peeping.

Here are the ones we ordered, 15 SR Columbian Wyandottes.

This is the free chick. Any ideas on what it is? The legs are yellow-orange colored and featherless.

@RedBird Special all of these pictures were uploaded from my cellphone.

Back
Top Bottom