FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote:
Citrus County, west of Ocala. Several years ago I would drive over to Jacksonville to the Bent Creek Feed Store monthly swap meet. It is a nice swap and several BYC members attend the the swap the last Sunday Monthly.
frow.gif

The Bent Creek feed store swap meet on the last Sunday of each month isnt what it used to be. There's not that many people that show up anymore. Only one or two folks show up to sell a few chickens, maybe a goat and some ducks on a good day. A couple vendors sell plants, honey, jams and jellies. Parking and set up areas have been reduced due to the feed store starting a U-Haul rental and the road construction/expansion has eaten up parking and vendor space as well. There's still plenty of parking next to the feed store at the bar/restaurant parking lot.

I haven't been there for a few years but it was a good place.

Anyone interested in starting another swap. We went to the Tractor Supply Company store manager in my area and asked if we could have a swap meet in a part of the parking lot near the store where hardly anyone parks. He said we could try it one month and see how it would go and it was a success. We have been having them there now for around 5 years on the 2nd Saturday monthly. Since we have been doing it now for some time we get a lot of people checking it out and many sellers sell out. We do block off the area with caution tape so people can't drive through during the swap. There are a lot of families that come and we don't want anyone getting hurt. This can be done at any feed store in the area, not necessarily a TSC. Over a year ago we started another swap at an area mall (Crystal River Mall) in an area that has some shade year around. Again we went to the mall manager and told her what we were planning and the spot we would like to have the swap and she said yes. Around a year ago a few months after we started, Rural King opened a store across the parking lot from where we hold our farm swap. We have a lot of buyers come through and usually we have a pretty good turnout. We could use more sellers. We put signs out also in front of the stores pointing to the swap areas. We advertise on Craigslist and Ocala4Sale as well as some other websites such as BYC. http://jax4sale.com/ http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ In the beginning we made up some flyers for the swaps and asked to put them by the registers for the customers.

Example:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AuntNomi

Anyone around the Jacksonville area?

Moved from Jacksonville to Saint Johns three years ago and then got my chickens soon after. Started with three in an A-frame and now 8 in a mobile coop my husband built. welcome to BYC

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but I had some time today and visited the site for answer and ideas and I wanted to say again how well thought of your set ups are. That duplex idea beats all, but that high rise brooder! That is impressive!

Hello Friends,
I am only a year in to the backyard chicken hobby. I have 3 hens and one roo. Three, the roo and two hens are bantam blue Cochins, and the other hen is a cross bred, Wyandotte/Cochin. The cross hen is the only one laying right now. I have noticed that my hens are looking a bit bedraggled.... Is it molting time? They also look like they're sore, red/picked/scratched by servicing the roo. Any thoughts from you experts?

Why aren't the blue Cochins laying? Does my roo need more ladies?

(I'm feeding layer mash and they free range daily)

Thanks in advance!

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom