FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

This is going to sound like a dumb question. I'm sorry
1f602.png

My plan for our coop/run was to use the deep litter method after reading up but several people (some of whom have chickens) looked at me like I was nuts when I talked about needing to get sand. They're like, we live in Florida. Can I use just regular back yard sand? I mean... it stands to reason but ya never know.

1f602.png

My plan for our coop/run was to use the deep litter method after reading up but several people (some of whom have chickens) looked at me like I was nuts when I talked about needing to get sand. They're like, we live in Florida. Can I use just regular back yard sand? I mean... it stands to reason but ya never know.

It's what I use! I'm in South Georgia nothing but sand here for dirt if I need clean sand I'll go down a dirt road find a sand pile a motor grader pushed off to the side and have clean sand!!

1f602.png

Yes you can use the sand from your yard. I have never put sand down. I use pine shavings in the coops that have floors. Some of the coops have the ground as the floor so I don't worry about them. The birds scratch around in them so they are good. The pine shaving in the coops with floors helps to keep the poop from sticking to the wood floors. Everyone's situations is different I'm sure, so whatever works best for you. Good luck and have fun...

Chick grow-out coop.

A couple of the open coops.

We had an owl get in and kill some of the birds so I put the tarps over the open part of these coops and also put netting over all of the pens as well as electric wire around them too.

Pine shaving on the floor.

We made these so we can move them around.

Last edited:
@lilwildrabbit thanks! I felt crazy asking but, you know, wanted to be sure
1f602.png

@cmom oh, yeah. We just have a few chickens. I'm not sure what we will do in the coop yet but I for sure want sand in the run. ... I think. I guess I'm not sure if much on this journey yet ;)

1f602.png

@cmom oh, yeah. We just have a few chickens. I'm not sure what we will do in the coop yet but I for sure want sand in the run. ... I think. I guess I'm not sure if much on this journey yet ;)
Why crazy there is no crazy or stupid questions here everyone has to learn only way is to ask!!

1f602.png

@cmom oh, yeah. We just have a few chickens. I'm not sure what we will do in the coop yet but I for sure want sand in the run. ... I think. I guess I'm not sure if much on this journey yet
wink.png
I have a new coop going in right now and my first chicks in a brooder- I was planning on keeping the grass in the run and letting the chickens scratch and turn it into sand- is this ok or should I pull the grass and lay sand? ( Your comment made me think I should check on this)

I let mine have the grass they loved it last year now it's all sand well sand and compost I'll rake it or try to but before I'm done it's all spread out again guess I'm going to have to sneak in at night and steal it from them

Back
Top Bottom