FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi there! I just joined the forums today, and am a total chicken newb :rolleyes:
Really excited to be here though! I’ve been doing a lot of reading and researching, but a community of real people with real experience sounds invaluable. I just moved to 27 acres in Alachua and am getting close to getting my first little flock started. We’ve been building a coop from scratch, planning to have that completed and to buy some chickens around the 15th of this month. I’d like a little variety of hens and egg colors, but am drawn to the large and friendly Orphingtons. Looking to start with some pullets, not ready to raise chicks quite yet!

Florida Sunshine Classic Poultry Show
(the first Saturday in January)

January 5th and 6th 2019
Columbia County Fairgrounds
438 SW State Road 247
Lake City, FL 32025
---> MAP
Danny & Norma Padgett
15930 W State Road 238
Lake Butler, Florida 32054
386-496-2561

Hi there! I just joined the forums today, and am a total chicken newb :rolleyes:
Really excited to be here though! I’ve been doing a lot of reading and researching, but a community of real people with real experience sounds invaluable. I just moved to 27 acres in Alachua and am getting close to getting my first little flock started. We’ve been building a coop from scratch, planning to have that completed and to buy some chickens around the 15th of this month. I’d like a little variety of hens and egg colors, but am drawn to the large and friendly Orphingtons. Looking to start with some pullets, not ready to raise chicks quite yet!

You should take a ride to Lake City this coming weekend if you get the chance.

Welcome sweetgumkingdom!! We are starting to build our coop this month also and it is very exciting just thinking about it..lol. I will be getting some chicks soon and believe I am going to start with some Welsummers and some Barred Rock....at least that is my thoughts for now. Great place to educate yourself here on the board...everyone so helpful and great articles to read. Chickens are the best :love

Thanks so much guys, I’m so excited to be here! My hubby has been helping me design and build our coop, and he’s been an amazing sport but definitely thinks I’ve gone a little mad. Things he believes to be entirely fine and dandy I will laugh at and say “noooo no we need to do x y x, and upgrade that, and add another lock here...” He’s taken to jokingly calling it “Cluckingham Palace,” yet I’ve had to make compromises too to make it work for us, so I’m sure we’ll learn as we go and end up upgrading some down the road.

Anyways, does anyone have any more information about the Sunshine Classic show tomorrow ? I’d really like to go! Are there vendors or things to see and buy? When is the best time to go check that out if you’re not actually a part of the show? First thing Saturday morning?

If you see me there say hi :frow

Yes, they have a sale area. Everyone is welcome. There will be a lot of quality birds available. The judging starts at 9am. I'll be there around 6am. I'm an early bird. It's a 2 hour drive for me. I think I have a BYC banner I had made years ago that I can put up. Hopefully I didn't forget it but I think it's in my car. Heading to bed because it won't be long before I have to get up. I'm mostly packed up except for a couple of last minute quicky things I saved for in the morning. Hope to see you there...
438 SW State Road 247
Lake City, FL 32025
---> MAP

Heading to bed because it won't be long before I have to get up. I'm mostly packed up except for a couple of last minute quicky things I saved for in the morning. There is a sale area. Everyone is welcome. There will be a lot of quality birds available. The judging starts at 9am. I'll be there around 6am. I'm an early bird. It's a 2 hour drive for me. I think I have a BYC banner I had made years ago that I can put up. Hopefully I didn't forget it but I think it's in my car. Hope to see you there...

January 5th and 6th 2019
438 SW State Road 247
Lake City, FL 32025
---> MAP

Heading to bed because it won't be long before I have to get up. I'm mostly packed up except for a couple of last minute quicky things I saved for in the morning. There is a sale area. Everyone is welcome. There will be a lot of quality birds available. The judging starts at 9am. I'll be there around 6am. I'm an early bird. It's a 2 hour drive for me. I think I have a BYC banner I had made years ago that I can put up. Hopefully I didn't forget it but I think it's in my car. Hope to see you there...

January 5th and 6th 2019
438 SW State Road 247
Lake City, FL 32025
---> MAP

Ooh yes that’s early!! Set extra alarms (I’m always paranoid of sleeping through mine if I must get up that early.) Drive safe! Thanks so much for the info, I hope I run into you tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom