FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

ok, here is my one shot of the coop/chicken run combo so far...

it is a 4x12. we used 2x4's for most of the construction. The back piece that you can see is actually a pallet that was not broken down, It fit perfectly except for one board lol! on the sides, we used scrap plywood. we left a space when we mounted it, to leave ventilation in the "coop" area.

on the other side, there is a door that is 4x4. we broke down the run in increments of 22" so that the hardware cloth would fit perfectly. This allowed a minimum of cutting.

We left the rafters open, and used hardware cloth to increase ventilation. We currently have a vinyl roof, which we will upgrade to a plastic roof in the next week or so.

we used scrap wood from lowes that they use as a type of pallet for their lumber. Its a piece of lumber that is usually a 2x4x4 which made them perfect. I paid $1 for them all.

We of course hung the food and water with nylon rope, and will be upgrading to a chain with a hook asap.

We have a milk crate turned on its side and a small roost. We are going to add a floor 2 feet above the ground in the plywood area, and put the roosts up ithere, and a little walkway, to increase our space by about 16sf.

For aesthetics, we are going to paint the trim pieces white. We picked up the green and white in the oops area at lowes for $5 each.

Our total cost, including what we are going to buy still, will be about $160. Oh, and we did this whole thing without a saw. We did the roof mitres ata friends house, and cut stuff by hand or at lowes-they do it for free.

so that is it! My husband has NEVER built something like this before, I am very proud of him.

Last edited:
Chicknadventure, your husband did a great job! You should be proud of him. Love the pricetag, too.
I am very proud of him :) So we are going to take our original pen, which is a 4 x8 run (2 feet high lol) and convert it to another pen, for a breeding duo/trio of bantams. It has no bottom, so we are going to flip it over, and do a light weight raisable roof. And where the door on the side is, we are going to add nesting boxes.

I live close to a few canals myself. Though Ill be hones,t be happy you didnt. Canals have gotten bad down here. =( Glad to be here!!! Thank You for all The welcomes!!! =)

Near Hudson In Pasco County BTW. =)

Last edited:
Several people have asked me at the swaps these last couple of months when I would have turkeys. Well, they're here! Midget White or Standard Bronze poults just hatched. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Several people have asked me at the swaps these last couple of months when I would have turkeys. Well, they're here! Midget Whites or Standard Bronzes. PM me if you are interested.

Bring them to our swap.
frow.gif
Click on the link in my signature line.

Last edited:
ok, here is my one shot of the coop/chicken run combo so far...

it is a 4x12. we used 2x4's for most of the construction. The back piece that you can see is actually a pallet that was not broken down, It fit perfectly except for one board lol! on the sides, we used scrap plywood. we left a space when we mounted it, to leave ventilation in the "coop" area.

on the other side, there is a door that is 4x4. we broke down the run in increments of 22" so that the hardware cloth would fit perfectly. This allowed a minimum of cutting.

We left the rafters open, and used hardware cloth to increase ventilation. We currently have a vinyl roof, which we will upgrade to a plastic roof in the next week or so.

we used scrap wood from lowes that they use as a type of pallet for their lumber. Its a piece of lumber that is usually a 2x4x4 which made them perfect. I paid $1 for them all.

We of course hung the food and water with nylon rope, and will be upgrading to a chain with a hook asap.

We have a milk crate turned on its side and a small roost. We are going to add a floor 2 feet above the ground in the plywood area, and put the roosts up ithere, and a little walkway, to increase our space by about 16sf.

For aesthetics, we are going to paint the trim pieces white. We picked up the green and white in the oops area at lowes for $5 each.

Our total cost, including what we are going to buy still, will be about $160. Oh, and we did this whole thing without a saw. We did the roof mitres ata friends house, and cut stuff by hand or at lowes-they do it for free.

so that is it! My husband has NEVER built something like this before, I am very proud of him.

That's an awesome coop!
thumbsup.gif

I too lost one to the cold snap, my baby ! A Blue Laced Copper Marans that was sooo sweet...I felt sooo bad, guess she got too cold and caught sick and couldn't recover...I learned my lesson!

Back
Top Bottom