FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Greetings All,
New chicks ( Americana-reds) hatched on Christmas day are all doing well. We let Mama hen do all the work, she hatched them, kept them in the coop for 2 days then she brought them out in the yard. All the other hens and our rooster take part in watching the chicks and they have all learned what they need so far without issue. They all know where to get water and food and at the end of the day our rooster makes sure everyone goes up into the coop and beds down for the night. How cool.
thumbsup.gif

Frustrated right now. My neighbors dog keeps digging under our fence and into our yard. We have a new Great Pyrenees puppy, and the neighbors dog was fine till the puppy came. We got the GP puppy cause he can be trained to not bother the chickens. But the neighbors dog is a maniac, some kind of Rottweiler x Shepard, that has NO manners. I'm good friends with the neighbors, but they have no control of their dog. Last time he dug in we were not home, and luckily the hens were all in their coops and not free ranging. There was a dirt track worn around the coop where he ran laps, poor girls. So glad no one was hurt. Then he apparently went out our open gate and got picked up by the county dog catcher. Terrible luck for the neighbors, they had to pay $71 to bail him out of doggy jail. The neighbors covered the areas where he was digging and put logs in the holes. But a few minutes ago, he just dug a new hole and came right on over, grrrr! Lucky I was home and heard the ruckus! I guess I'm going to have to reinforce the whole fence line with wire under the soil or something. Thought about electric wire, but not sure that would work on our side of the fence. And the neighbors would never use it, as it would be "too mean".... Anybody have any other great ideas?

You need to have a talk with them about keeping the dog on its own property. I would give them a rundown of the cost for them to replace each chicken and the repair to coops, ect.
You DO NOT want their dog to teach your dog to dig out. Then yours will be a problem too.

My dog on my property is my pet/work dog. Everyone else's dog on my property is a PREDATOR...

And don't forget the three S rule if all else fails.
I have done it before and I know I will have to do it again. Stupid Owners. And yes, I know what it feels like to be on the other side of the fence,( I had a rescued dog that would not/ could not stay home on 5 fenced acres.) My place was well fenced and secure also topped with hot wire. He could go over an 9 foot fence. One of my neighbors shot him for running cow/calf pairs. Heard the shot, ran and checked his kennel, then drove over to the farm. Picked up my dog and paid a lot of money for the calf he ran to death. Hard lesson learned. He lost his future replacement breeding bull. He had paid a large breeding fee for his Angus cow.

Maye

Ride the Glide.....Got Gait....I Do....

Hot wire on your side would help. set it all the wat across your side of the shared fence...

If you have lots of money rent a trencher and trench up your side and put in hardwarecloth(wall) with crushcreate in it for a foot down...

If you want to be 'nice' you could make sure he goes to the pound every time he gets out...

I have a pit and a greyhound both trained to ignore the chickens and ducks- we are still working on the rabbits (greyhound is a rescued ex-racer...)

I've trained neighbor dogs for one reason or the other before... if you want to be really really really nice....

My neighbors started keeping their dogs in check once there was a confirmed coyote sighting ... "Hey I'd hate for your dog to get mauled by (whatever), I'm also considering putting out skunk deterrent trap if that (whatever) messes with that bucket, it'll get covered in skunk smell- hate for your pup to get it it... it'll be bated with raw meat and chicken feathers..."

Frustrated right now. My neighbors dog keeps digging under our fence and into our yard. We have a new Great Pyrenees puppy, and the neighbors dog was fine till the puppy came. We got the GP puppy cause he can be trained to not bother the chickens. But the neighbors dog is a maniac, some kind of Rottweiler x Shepard, that has NO manners. I'm good friends with the neighbors, but they have no control of their dog. Last time he dug in we were not home, and luckily the hens were all in their coops and not free ranging. There was a dirt track worn around the coop where he ran laps, poor girls. So glad no one was hurt. Then he apparently went out our open gate and got picked up by the county dog catcher. Terrible luck for the neighbors, they had to pay $71 to bail him out of doggy jail. The neighbors covered the areas where he was digging and put logs in the holes. But a few minutes ago, he just dug a new hole and came right on over, grrrr! Lucky I was home and heard the ruckus! I guess I'm going to have to reinforce the whole fence line with wire under the soil or something. Thought about electric wire, but not sure that would work on our side of the fence. And the neighbors would never use it, as it would be "too mean".... Anybody have any other great ideas?

Hot wire on your side would help. set it all the wat across your side of the shared fence...

If you have lots of money rent a trencher and trench up your side and put in hardwarecloth(wall) with crushcreate in it for a foot down...

If you want to be 'nice' you could make sure he goes to the pound every time he gets out... Great idea, I like it...

I have a pit and a greyhound both trained to ignore the chickens and ducks- we are still working on the rabbits (greyhound is a rescued ex-racer...)

I've trained neighbor dogs for one reason or the other before... if you want to be really really really nice....

My neighbors started keeping their dogs in check once there was a confirmed coyote sighting ... "Hey I'd hate for your dog to get mauled by (whatever), I'm also considering putting out skunk deterrent trap if that (whatever) messes with that bucket, it'll get covered in skunk smell- hate for your pup to get it it... it'll be bated with raw meat and chicken feathers..."
I have hot wire around my pens. I don't think it would do much good on your side of the fence because the dog would have already dug under before coming in contact with the hot wire so it would already be on your side. I think the trench idea is a great idea too. If the dog digs under the fence, leave your gate open and let him out of your yard and then call animal control.
cowboypistol.gif

I have hot wire around my pens. I don't think it would do much good on your side of the fence because the dog would have already dug under before coming in contact with the hot wire so it would already be on your side. I think the trench idea is a great idea too. If the dog digs under the fence, leave your gate open and let him out of your yard and then call animal control.
cowboypistol.gif

Around the pens even better -doh-
tongue.gif
I'm used to lazy diggers that do the minimum to get in I guess.

Back
Top Bottom