FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Where you been??? I just hatched my first chicks for this year, Dels and Aussies. You should be hatching too??.......stan

Started working 60-hour weeks back in November - all work no play!!!!! :(

My girls are not laying properly yet!!!!! I think I need to feed them some of that oats fodder to get them going. They started laying end of Dec and then backed off again. I did hatch 2 babies out end of December. Soooooooo cute!!! Can't tell you how much I love my Dellies :p. how's things your side? Still in FL?

Frustrated right now. My neighbors dog keeps digging under our fence and into our yard. We have a new Great Pyrenees puppy, and the neighbors dog was fine till the puppy came. We got the GP puppy cause he can be trained to not bother the chickens. But the neighbors dog is a maniac, some kind of Rottweiler x Shepard, that has NO manners. I'm good friends with the neighbors, but they have no control of their dog. Last time he dug in we were not home, and luckily the hens were all in their coops and not free ranging. There was a dirt track worn around the coop where he ran laps, poor girls. So glad no one was hurt. Then he apparently went out our open gate and got picked up by the county dog catcher. Terrible luck for the neighbors, they had to pay $71 to bail him out of doggy jail. The neighbors covered the areas where he was digging and put logs in the holes. But a few minutes ago, he just dug a new hole and came right on over, grrrr! Lucky I was home and heard the ruckus! I guess I'm going to have to reinforce the whole fence line with wire under the soil or something. Thought about electric wire, but not sure that would work on our side of the fence. And the neighbors would never use it, as it would be "too mean".... Anybody have any other great ideas?

Frustrated right now. My neighbors dog keeps digging under our fence and into our yard. We have a new Great Pyrenees puppy, and the neighbors dog was fine till the puppy came. We got the GP puppy cause he can be trained to not bother the chickens. But the neighbors dog is a maniac, some kind of Rottweiler x Shepard, that has NO manners. I'm good friends with the neighbors, but they have no control of their dog. Last time he dug in we were not home, and luckily the hens were all in their coops and not free ranging. There was a dirt track worn around the coop where he ran laps, poor girls. So glad no one was hurt. Then he apparently went out our open gate and got picked up by the county dog catcher. Terrible luck for the neighbors, they had to pay $71 to bail him out of doggy jail. The neighbors covered the areas where he was digging and put logs in the holes. But a few minutes ago, he just dug a new hole and came right on over, grrrr! Lucky I was home and heard the ruckus! I guess I'm going to have to reinforce the whole fence line with wire under the soil or something. Thought about electric wire, but not sure that would work on our side of the fence. And the neighbors would never use it, as it would be "too mean".... Anybody have any other great ideas?

Pepper spray, airsoft rifle, or a shotgun. Anything to make it very uncomfortable for him to be in your yard. Let them know you mean business and the next time he comes over he's not going to be a happy pup. If it means he's never out in their yard unsupervised, that's what they will have to do. It's part of being a responsible dog owner and they obviously aren't. An invisible fence on their side of the physical fence is also an idea. I've had a lot of success with the Invisible Fence brand system, and they have great customer service but it's an investment your neighbors might not be willing to make. Unfortunately, the off-the-shelf types typically don't work as well esp for big dogs. If they won't do that I would definitely put up a hot wire, but I think it would have to be a few feet off of the fence so that he doesn't just go underneath it...sorry you are dealing with that, I'm having an issue with the neighbor's dogs trying to attack me on the street and that is bad enough! If they were menacing my birds I think I would lose it.

I am not sure what would be more costly and labor intensive but your right,your options are digging up around your fence and burying wire.Or you can buy re bar and pound them into the ground every foot to keep the dog from entering.I am so sorry you are going through this.I would be so frustrated and angry.If you don't stay on top of it you could loose your birds,and I don't think the neighbor would be sympathetic or even helpful.Sounds like you would get an "I am so sorry"....

I agree with the hot wire its just a matter of placing it in the right spot.There is a lot of chance that he will go before it or after it.And I would be concerned if the chickens were out that they could walk into it.The pepper spray you would work but it would better if you could spray him right as he is coming through the hole and that would be difficult to catch.

HOA in one community I know of inTrinity gives out fines for having rust stains from dripping water on garage doors....imagine what having chickens will do! Gated community and chickens probably not the best match. LOL

Sounds like you are going to put out a lot of work and maybe a large expense to do what your neighbor is not willing to do. Does not sound like a good neighbor to me. I would explain to them that their dog is not welcome because of your concerns for your property and that if they will not control him, you will. Then keep good on your word. You might let him out the next time you find him in your yard or call animal control. After another $71 fine they may decide to take action. The other possibility is for him to just dissapear. Sounds llike you are going to alienate your neighbor or give up your property rights......stan

Back
Top Bottom