FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Thank you to McPhersonfarm for delivering my bunnies to me!! The buns arrived safe & sound and it saved me a whole LOT of driving. They also brought me two of the most adorable Khaki Campbells ever!!

Almost had tragedy to my little flock yesterday! 

Came home to find Cinny Minnie, my New Hamphshire, floating in the pool, but dry and sitting upright with her head thrown back and still.  I got her out with the net and she was limp but I noticed and eye slowly close and her feathers ruffle so I wrapped her up in a towel and then held her close to me for body warmth while I scrounged up the other two and put them in the coop. She just laid limp and kept letting hr head fall back into that awful extended position but I wrapped her up and sat her in the pet carrier taxi. As The kids and I (and even DH who professes not to care) checked on her, she did this slow head weaving and wobbling and kept her eyes closed, but it wobbled less as the evening progressed.  This am she was sitting upright, still wrapped and holding her head up and still.  She appeared bright eyed and alertand when I open the door of the   carrier she clucked and I unwrapped her and she walked out and over to the other girls and scratched and pecked like nothing had ever happened!  She had even laid an egg in the carrier while wrapped up! ( it was soft though).  Watching her today, she free ranges with the others and looks none the worse for wear. 

I have seen all three of the chickens lean forward and drink from the pool many times, but maybe something spooked her and she fluttered in or maybe one of the others jostled her and she fell in.  She must have been exhausted from paddling around and couldn't climb out of the pool on her own.

Man! How did you know what to do? I am still very new to raising chickens (just one month now) and found your story helpful. What does the 'bobble-head syndrome' mean in general? Is that a severe symptom of being too cold? Or taking in too much water? Lots of questions in my head from your story. Are you also watching for signs of respiratory problems that might take some time to really appear?
I ask only because you were so adept at caring & nurturing her back to perfect health. Thanks for your story!

I have 4 Tolbunt Polish cockerels that I bought from GFF as chicks. One is frizzled. They have to go, I am not going to be raising any Polish. I can't ship atm, but wanted to see if anyone in the North FL area might be interested in them. I will take some pics later today. PM me if you are interested.

Hello bamitsbrittany neighbor,
I love this site so much info on it. Have you found any local breeders that you like for say Polish or other fancy chicks? We got half our flock from Harold's feed supply off MacIntosh. So far all our babies from there has done great. We have EE, BO, BSL, and austrolope. We have a white silkie too but they're all babies still.

Hi

I know just where that place is. I hope they have EE and Austrolorps (sp.?) in June!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm in Jacksonville, FL in the Urban Core and LOVE my girls!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom